What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some recent pictures of my surviving VFTs.

My Dente is all but gone, there's a 1MM sized trap on a tiny little thing which I placed inside a container just now, but, yeah. My Akai Ryu is completely gone, AND there were bugs in the soil. I really, really need to find a local source for a safe pesticide. I plan on re-purchasing them in a few days.

B52 (Inside plant)
b52-a.jpg

b52-a2.jpg

B52 (Outside plant)
b52-b.jpg

b52-b2.jpg

I repotted my B52 outside and split it in 2 while I was out there. I brought half of the plant back in. This is my first time splitting a plant, so I'm a bit hesitant.

Red Piranha:
red-piranha.jpg

The Red Piranha is really starting to take off. It's not as red as I would like, however, the grow lights are enough to make it moderately happy but it's just not quite enough. It's too small to go outside, however.

"Gold Strike"
goldstrike.jpg

goldstrike2.jpg

This little dude isn't happy, I don't know why. 3 of it's traps turned pitch black, I trimmed 2 of those stems off and left 1. It may have gotten some tap water spilled on it, I flushed the pot quite extensively but it may still need work. I may also need to repot it, it was in the same area as the Dente and Akai Ryu (read: bugs of some kind in the soil).

Ideally it'll be ready to move outside permanently by next spring, we'll see, however.

I thought people were joking about Drosera capensis being a weed, btw. Either D. capensis or Pygmy Gemmaes got in like every single one of my pots, it's nuts.

Other random pictures:

My Nep. ventricosa (ventrata?) (it's from a lowes deathcube):
babynep.jpg

My Nep has a baby plant coming up from it's base.

S. Leucophylla 'Titan':
leucophylla-titan.jpg

A recent purchase, growing outside full time. It shares a 10" foam pot with it's bigger brother.

S. Leucophylla:
leucophylla.jpg

This guy needs a haircut but I don't dare cut off anything green. I think this is TC, I got it from a local grocery store.

Pygmys:
pygmy-dieback.jpg

My Pygmys are pissed off at me, they may have had some tap water spill on them, or the temperatures (which have been getting up there) may have hurt them. Next gemmae season I am going to spread these out in a ton of different pots just in case.

BTW, when I say completely gone, I mean it. The Akai Ryu entire plant was GONE. No bulb, no roots, NOTHING. The Dente was almost also completely gone.

A VFT is never too small to go outside. It may get shocked like mine did for a couple weeks but it'll perk right back up. If it's a seedling just slowly acclimate them to stronger lights but if it's a division it'll be fine sitting outside right away.
Where did you get your leucophylla from? It looks like a hybrid, very similar to a Judith Hindle.

new-prop-pot.jpg

Here's my new prop pot from dunecraft. Came with a kit of Stevia seeds. Has a nice 6" or 8" tall clear lid.

From the back to front:
Pinguicula moranensis
Drosera Filiformis var Tracyi, VFT typical x2
Mystery Pitcher, VFT B52 cutting.

The moranensis should not be kept in such wet conditions. I recommend you get it out of there, and fast.

Good luck. I know how much of a pain pests can be!

I agree with TYD, your bog seems a bit too wet, how far up is your water level? Those conditions sooner or later may lead to root rot.

Yeah that's definitely not a leucophylla. That's a classic xJudith Hindle alright.

Yeah that's definitely not a leucophylla. That's a classic xJudith Hindle alright.

Which one's not? The smaller of the two I got from a reputable online nursery. The bigger of the two I got from a local grocery store, "Botanical Wonders" was the name, it was marked Leucophylla. Looking closer with a more open eye, it is a bit odd that the bigger one doesn't have much white on it...

I'm actually somewhat glad, as my old Judith Hindle didn't survive the winter outside unprotected. So it's a happy coincidence.

The little bog with the moranensis in it is pretty damp but I was waiting for it to just evaporate away. The water is at the point that if I turn the pot at an angle I can just barely see water pool up on the side. I guess I can take a bit of sponge/towel to it and suck the excess water out.

To be honest, maybe I should just move the moranensis out of that mess and give it it's own pot... It's big enough to survive outside of a prop chamber now, I think. And it's not like I don't have 2 other Moranensis (5 if you count the little cluster in the other corner of the old prop chamber) to work with. :)

Should I be looking at giving that Hindle a haircut, or just let nature take it's course? I haven't trimmed off many pitchers since getting it.

It also really needs a splitting, but I don't dare dig it up in the middle of it's growth spurt. Maybe in fall.

its up to you, its all up to your taste

Go ahead and trim off the dead ones, it'll make more room for new growth and allow more light to get to the green pitchers. Dividing depends on how far along in the growth season it is, I'm not sure what your weather is in ID, just dont divide during the peak growing times (mid-summer, early fall).

Well, should I cut off an entire pitcher for a little brown at the top? Or should I wait until it's all brown? None of them are 100% all brown...

That's up to you, I trim mine all the way down to the base even if the pitcher is not all brown yet. It'll take a while for the whole thing to turn brown. Even if the base is still green it wont do any harm to trim it off as long as your plant still has usable pitchers. Come winter and dormancy time you can trim them all off except for the phyllodias. The only exceptions are S. psittacina and purps.

My real problem right now is how slow it's growing. My previous few pitcher plants (which didn't survive the winter) were smaller, so I could really see new growth. That one's so big every once in a while I notice a new trap.

I'm thinking of doping it with some Dried Bloodworms, that might get it a little bit of kick. I did notice it caught a few bees on it's own, though, so maybe that's overkill. :)

I took the VFT "Gold Stirke" and my VFT Typical outside, and am going to replace the Dente and Akai Ryu "real soon now" (tm).

I hate to do it, but, yeah, the VFT Gold Strike needs to get bigger and I think pure sunlight will help with that more than growlights. I did notice it had 2 growing points so I cut one off and put it in my prop chamber, hope it survives. The one outside has more green than the one inside.

It might be about time to look at a RO filter, heh, I'm going through a lot of water nowadays.

Back