What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cuttings: Inside or out?

I just made a bunch of flytrap cuttings. I was wondering if they would be best kept inside under a fluorescent light, or outside (full sun, or partial sun). I live in St. Louis, we get some pretty hot summers (semi-long stretches of 90+ temps), and I'm worried about the cuttings boiling. I have the cuttings in berry containers with 50/50 peat/perlite with a little LFSM on top to keep humidity up.

I am not sure, but I think that they would do well under strong lights while they are starting and then moving once they are decent size

I just made a bunch of flytrap cuttings. I was wondering if they would be best kept inside under a fluorescent light, or outside (full sun, or partial sun). I live in St. Louis, we get some pretty hot summers (semi-long stretches of 90+ temps), and I'm worried about the cuttings boiling. I have the cuttings in berry containers with 50/50 peat/perlite with a little LFSM on top to keep humidity up.

I'd keep the new cuttings out of direct sun until they take; and, under the fluorescent lights, they should be just fine. After a few leaves emerge, I would then place them under full sun . . .

I've done it both ways. But since you have them in an enclosed container, I recommend inside so there is no risk of them getting baked/seared/fried/scrambled/boiled/cooked/grilled.

I would do what BigBella said. That´s how I do VFT cuttings, as well.

I have had great success with cuttings in live LFS under flourescent light in the open. I am trying the outside approach right now though (due to lazyness).

I cut a few flower stalks off my smaller VFTs and decided to just plug them in the pots they were growing in. This was about a month or so ago and they are still going. We'll see what happens.

I've had the best success with pullings in long fibered sphanum under strong fluorescent lights, but I have done them outside as well.

I've done them inside, exclusively, but I have a plastic tub outside, with LFS (orchid moss), filled with water. I am tossing D. binata & filiformis leaves in there, periodically and may just try VFT leaves. What I'd like to do is take leaf cuttings is put them in the same pots as the parent plants.

Picture038-2.jpg

I would keep them inside, where you can keep the conditions under control.

I've started a few cuttings from leaf pulls -- I had them inside under the lights. Threw them in water for a few weeks (except for the cutting I started from a flower stalk, it was in soaked LFS) and they sprouted after a time. The flower stalk one took forever and only had 1 sprout, the other ones worked a bit better, all things considered.

Back