What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water germination for VFT

chezilla,

What a friend of mine did was to put a thin layer of distilled water in a petri dish and she sowed the Drosera seeds on top. She then kept the dish covered with a lid.

Well CINDY

Sounds good to me... I have a few seeds that I would like to try this way..

So is stratifying required or not since there seems to be a conflict of interest in the post if you should or not, not to mention the success rates..

Wayne

So is stratifying required or not since there seems to be a conflict of interest in the post if you should or not, not to mention the success rates..
Stratifying is NOT required. Germination without stratification should be near 100% if you have fresh seed.

Well I have FRESH seeds HOME grown... I have dropped them in a bottle of rain water... over 11 days past all I got was couple of fury seeds, so has my friends whom I have shared my collection with... Mine don't look like the one in the photo ;-( so how long can the seeds stay in the water for .... Cindy

Noddy

Noddy,

The seeds were kept in water since 7th July till last week. I threw away the last un-germinated seed since it may not be viable. All the other germinated within 1 to 1.5 months.

I think your problem could be the use of rain water. Mine were in distilled water.

Some have gone fury...

That good or bad ?

Noddy

The furry ones are those attacked by fungus and they are not likely to germinate or survive after germination. There are loads of spores in rain water which is why it is not recommended for this method of germination.

Well it's only the last day or so but here are the fury bit's ... As in photo shown now LOL... Plants pushed through as you can see...

VFTSeed.jpg

One little seed in a drop of water, Arrr...

Noddy

Those furry bits are the roots. When the seed is attacked by fungus, the whole seed is coated with "fur".

Well I did think that ... but at the time their very fluffy... and no sprout so hard to see, however here you go all that's what your looking for ....

I've started at least 50 odd now... :) WAR IS ON AGAINST FLYS LOL

I got some VFT seeds today. I put some seeds with my large VFT Pot with a few mature VFTs in it and I got some sitting is some cups of water, one that is mixed with the plants water, and two that are filled with RO water. BTW, is it OK/better for the seeds to sink into the water?

I had best success with seeds that were sunken. It's hard to get some of them to stop coming up, but you have to just keep pushing them. Gently holding them under for about 30 seconds with tweezers seemed to help.

Back