What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

too congested? seems to me like it... what should I do?

Hi,

I bought this beauty about a month ago.
Been feeding it with some live insects and filtered water and it seems to be thriving.
However is would seem to me that it's starting to be overcrowded in it's little pot.
Is this an issue?
What should I do next? I don't have special soil for it...
3705263572_1944f10ef2.jpg

Wouldn't it die if it get's too overcrowded?

Nope. Dionaea have small root systems that don't have much function other than to hold them in the soil.

Thank you so much for the kind reply.

DC,
it looks fine!
overcrowding wont be an issue this year..
but you will probably want to divide it in the Spring..
you could probably get 3 or 4 plants out of it! :)
looks like you have several growing points in there..
but for now, its perfectly fine..no need to do anything for awhile..

it does however look like it could use more sun..
where/how are you growing it?

Scot

Nope. Dionaea have small root systems that don't have much function other than to hold them in the soil.

I think you're thinking of Pings, VFTs have some pretty extensive roots IMO. Not as much as Sarrs but still quite long. And as far as it's role, if it was just to hold it in it would have just one thick tap root and few fibrous roots. Not the case, so there's more to the root system then to 'just hold the plant in'.

I agree with scotty, it looks like it could use more sun. And I'm sure you can try to find fertilizer free peat moss and perlite in Lowes or some hardware store. I get my peat and fertilizer from Ace Hardware. And when you say "filtered" water, do you mean RO water or distilled? If not, do you know if it is under 100ppm?

Oops, did I type that? I was confusing them with Pinguicula.

Philcula, what other functions do they have, then? (I do admit that I am no expert, but I feel a little insulted.)

Oops, did I type that? I was confusing them with Pinguicula.

Philcula, what other functions do they have, then? (I do admit that I am no expert, but I feel a little insulted.)

Water uptake for one.

I'm growing it right near a window which is open most of the day - every day - so it does get it's share of sun.
I took the photo during the evening so it looks a bit dark.

I think you're thinking of Pings, VFTs have some pretty extensive roots IMO. Not as much as Sarrs but still quite long. And as far as it's role, if it was just to hold it in it would have just one thick tap root and few fibrous roots. Not the case, so there's more to the root system then to 'just hold the plant in'.
Absolutely correct.

CLue - A venus fly trap is a plant first before it is a carnivore and will live and thrive quite happily without ever having to capture and digest prey. They do not need insect matter to thrive. They capture prey only as a means of gaining back some of the nutrients that are lacking in their natural growing environment..but can and will thrive without prey capture. The roots are more than capable of not only water uptake but nutrient uptake as well.

This week I finally repotted some Green Dragons I've had in a pot half that volume for 5 years starting with 3 mature plants, and now it yielded 3 Very large plants (that I could have divided more than twice) 7 Mediums, and 5 babies.

It was overdue, but far from dying.

Gary

Back