What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

flytrapshop.com's VFTs

are the ones that i can buy off of flytrapshop.com pretty hardened off to be put out in direct sunlight in the high desert of southern california without burning very much?

Hello, the g/h is covered with shade cloth in the height of summer in order to be able to keep the temps around 85f in the top of the day. Outside of that I'm not sure how my sun compares to yours in that way... According to weather.com, today your UV index is 9 and mine is 8. And we are both sunny. So, I would have to guess that they would do pretty well.
Andrew

Suggestion!

Hi,
As with any plant, lightly providing some shade, even from another potted plant/weed/anything,
especially during the hottest time of the day, for about a week or two at least, then moving the
shading plant/item S-l-o-w-l-y over the next week or so (watch how the plant responds)
is generally the safest way to be sure you don't roast your plants suddenly!

If you have a piece of shade cloth or similar fabric (even burlap) that you can stake in place
temporarily, it will work out perfectly. Even hardened off plants can have an adjustment period
so I try to give them the best start I can. Even then, I have cooked my share of plants
(CP's and otherwise) over the years, when I am in a hurry or not thinking there will be a problem.
If you want to be on the safe side, give them a gentle "change" in environment if you can.

It only takes one day to kill a plant, but two days to notice! :water:
Good luck.
Paul

ok thank you for the help! and i will be ordering a red dragon and a dente probably within a month

by the way i was in tucson about a month ago, and stayed at the Ventana Hotel.. my little sister just graduated high school from a school out there called Fenster.. seemed more of a dry heat than where i live though

Huh. UV index is important? Mine's a "1 out of 16" according to Weatherunderground. No wonder my outside plants always look spindly! @.@

Back