What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New VFT!! YAY!!!

SirKristoff,

My name is Steven Stewart, it's interesting to communicate with you. Is your knighthood by the Queen or yourself?:jester:

I fear twenty years ago there were no timestamps on my 35mm photographs. No I haven't grown any Dionaea for twenty years on a windowsill. I have grown Dionaea 'Cupped Traps' and others for ten years on one though. I have also distributed a few dozen of them grown there as well. Plants can take rests in many ways. When I had a greenhouse I produced many (tens of thousands) more Dionaea than I have from the windowsill.
I like all kinds of plants, and hope to learn more from you, as well as others on this forum. Thirty years ago I argued with other growers about how easy it was to produce Nepenthes from seed, not in-vitro. I even found the need for the same argument 12 years ago, when I was beginning growing a large population of Nepenthes bicalcarata from seed to flower. I no longer have the anger of a young man, so feel free to say what you want.

We have gotten off to a bad start. I meant no harm when I quoted you. I have learned, over time, not to say something can't be done and I have no fear of standing by my words. I have also learned not to take for granted, when I read from someone else, something cannot be done. It was by chance I chose your words to quote.
I mistakenly thought that a knight would have a skin of armor!

Take care,
Thanks for the welcome!
I look forward to hearing from everyone!
Steven Stewart

What you just said was very touching.
No joke.

Ya know, just because we say it's better for it to be outside, we don't think that it CANNOT BE DONE (Or at least I don't), we think IT'S HARD TO BE DONE. We highly recommended for the VFT to be outside because, no offense Chomp, I know you've taken care of CPs before, Chomp is still a beginner at growing CPs. And in this case, Chomp's light ended up being inadequate for a VFT. And this is the case with most people who try. But yes, growing healthy and colorful VFTs under lights can be done succesfully. But it's much harder and expensive to do than just putting it outside and let nature take its course, which is why it's very highly recommend to have it outside, especially for beginners. I honestly don't see why dormancy is such a huge issue, you can still change the photoperiod and temperature and then put them somewhere chilly, like a fridge or garage. You can open a window a bit to let chilly air in to cool the temperature, or whatever. I don't know where this impossible thing came from, but it's not true that it's impossible, just harder to get good results. But the point of this thread is Chomp's VFT and what is best for it. Don't see why this debate had to occur.

Being a beginner, and not having the right equipment, it's best for it to be outside. The underline part is why we recommend having it outside. If you DO get the equipment, then it's just a matter of what you want and what's easier for you, Chomp. So until then, it's best for it to be outside or at least a really sunny, open (because glass cuts down the intesnity) window.

Chomp, I'm very sorry that you were disappointed of the comments that have been made, and I'm sorry if I sounded harsh. But if you still wish to maybe have a VFT indoors in the future, you can try. Don't be discouraged to try! Heck, you can try to set up an experiment with VFTs outside and VFTs indoors. It'd be very useful to the CP community.

I wish for the best of hope for your VFT, Chomp. :D

I grow VFT's both inside and outside. I've actually had more success with VFT's inside under lights than outside. I do give them dormancy, however. It can be done, just have a plan for decreasing photoperiods and temps, and vice versa in the spring. Good luck.

i used to have a planted terrarium about 4 years ago, with a vft, sundew, butterwort, and judith hindle. i went away on vacation, and when i got back, they were all dead from light.(the light fixture)

Well thanks for the help guys, I'll use it to help jaws. (you guys were calling him chomp. chomp was my last VFT)

And enstead of a sarr, im getting a nep-YAY!

nice! i recommend N. ventricosa, ventrata, sanguinea or many of the hybirds availiable. those are noteably more resistant to any type of condition than most neps(although there are many more hardy ones.) they will pitcher in humidity which is what your house hold humidity is, they are resistant to many temperature ranges, and they are all very beautiful. im going to PM you again!

Alex

I recommend truncata of course. And speaking of that why doesn't Andy offer truncata? I'm sure he could grow the lowland form in his greenhouse.

Nice guys!! Thanx!!!!

I let the VFT stay in the terrarium for a few more days, and it has been looking much better than it was when I first got it. It is starting to grow extremely fast. Maybe, when I put it outside, it will eat the squirrels instead of the squirrels eating it! LOL

ha! id say to put cayenne pepper powder on, thats what i do. keeps predatprs away.

it was a joke you know

Well intensive reading there...

Message to ALL, I MEAN ALL

LIVE IS VERY SHORT FOR ALL OF US, SO WE SHOULD ALL BE EXTRACTING AS MUCH AS WE CAN ON METHODS THAT WORK WHILE WORKING ON IMPROVEMENTS AT THE SAME TIME...

LEARN FROM OTHER PEOPLES MISTAKE's but improve...

I think the problem here is this, there are so many clever people some with a lot of wisdom, however I see them they forget they was once like you, and I think some times you can't beat experience.

What the people forget here that have garden's is that there are people here that don't have that, yet share a interest in keeping VFT. But then if I feel that new methods should be tried and tested, reason more people without gardens could keep them.

I am like half and half where I live.
I stress this too I have grown my first on a window seal, I have been told it will die not enough light ...
The Answer is this they was wrong totally, I have RED TRAP's inside that's Natures point in proving it, I have 3 baby's this year, it's flowered it's seeded, and I have put it in the lobby last year in Oct for domency (Which was the only good advice I can say I got on that), now that's a year later, I think that's a successful year.

I could go on but, I know this much that there is always someone smarter out side of the box than in... Many people here live inside their box, as they have mastered they way.

Take for example macro vision on video or DVD, can't be broken CRAP, someone out side of the agency was smarter to break through, point I am making here is that the average joe could not do it but 1 man changed that for the many... as with the light bulb, or even the telephone .... & yet we all take that for granted, it only takes one to crack the method.

And you know what fire works well to give light as does candles, or even shouting accross the room, to commuicate.

That's how I see the people that knock people on there quest, because that one person may just may find a method that works where the others either failed or never bothered!. Because there happy in there comfort zone.

So go learn all you can from other's, and pioneer new ways... Else we would all still sitting in a dim room with candle light a camp fire and shouting accross the room, with no fly traps...

Help guys, as the people do give up, that's not what we are here for... Improve on the methods that already work ;-)

I said my bit.... But it's the truth and honest! It's what I have seen over the last year of being here.

Noddy

well noddy, we are just trying to help him keep his one flytrap, not saying: it'll die if you keep it on that windowsill. It will likely die if you keep it under lights, in a terrarium, or at a windowsill if you are new to the hobby. He is free to do what he wants after this one, and all the rest of the flytraps, but right now, we're trying to help him. I also remember my first flytrap. kept in a planted terrarium under artifical lights, and it died in a few weeks. i also came back from nc my first year to see them all dead, which still maybe beats me, although it probably had something to do with light.

Back