What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New VFT!! YAY!!!

Chomp

Oops
i just got a new fly trap today, and it is already in my terrarium. (i named him jaws, LOL)

:banana2: :banana2: :banana2:

Yay? :lol:

Why are you growing them in a terrarium, anyways?

Why is it inside? Put outside in full sun. Don't bother to slowly acclimate it. Keep it nice, and wet in a tray of water. Or are you under conditions where it can be outside? :x

because i like terrariums, and I'm able to meet it's requirements. (although dormant seasons will be trickey...)

...If you want to have a happy and healthy plant, you should put it outside. I doubt you're meeting its light requirement. What kind of lights are you using and how many?

It's been a goal of mine to make a CP terrarium, and i can meet the plants requirements. I meant for this to be a happy moment, not an argument.

This wasn't an argument? o.o I'm just saying, VFTs grow a LOT better outside than inside 99.9% of the time...Can you just at least tell us the lights and conditions to confirm it?

What's an oxymoron????

You cannot provide proper conditions inside for VFTs long term
they need to go through the changing light cycle and temperatures outdoors to initiate dormancy for the plants coming winter, without dormancy the plants will slowly begin to die..

lights are fine and everything... You dont need to parent me you know, sheesh...

I've got dormancy and such taken care of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Strong enough indoor lighting to keep them healthy is hard enough as it is
how do you plan on taking care of dormancy

They are just worried about the health and well-being of a sweet little flytrap, Chomp.

Well, i just wanted to say that i got a new VFT, not start a debate over VFT care.

Well, you put it in a terrarium, which is a big nono for VFT/Sarracenia care. they dont do well in those settings.
trust me, ive tried.

Ok...We're just offering extremely helpful advice so you VFT doesn't die. But if you want to think you perfectly have everything under control, fine.

I have a special lamp for sunlight, and i admit that i still have a bit of planning to do with the dormancy situation... but dont worry about it, all will be just fine.

I am pretty sure everything is fine thank you, and if i see that my VFT is having problems in its environment, then yes, i will immediately remove it.

Yes, i am pretty sure that was an argument...

Last edited by a moderator:
That was not an argument
and by special lamp, what do you mean
because it usually takes many fluorescent fixtures to provide enough light for a VFT
or some T5 fixtures which are expensive as all get out.
Edit:
Also, please if your going to reply to multiple people do it in a single post, dont post multiple times...it irritates mods because they have to combine posts all the time, blah blah blah.
Just edit a post if you have to

It's not an argument, it's the kind suggestions of others that if you follow through with your plan there is a %99.9 chance that chomp will croak. We wouldnt be suggesting you otherwise if this ideology hadn't been brought up in the past before. Do some searching in the VFT and Sarracenia threads. It'd be a shame to loose chomp. If you still feel that strong here is what I recommend to all growers who dont like the hard facts; grow 2 VFTs. Put chomp outside and the other indoors. You will see the difference come winter and the following spring.

Hey Chomp,
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, and like you, i really wanted my vft to grow INSIDE my terra... Let me tell you how it went...
So i got it, was too happy to finally have a vft, i couldn't believe it... so i put it in the terra, with a s. dana's delight, and a darlingotnia and a whole bunch of other stuff that shouldn't be grown inside in a terra. All was well for the first month, maybe two, but even with 2 T5HO's, i was not able to get ANY redness inside the traps. And within a month or two more, they just withered and died.
So go ahead, try it, but take it from us, we've had the experience of losing a plant, and we simply don't want you to have to go through the same ordeal as us. Like i said, i had 2x T5HO's and it still wasn't enough... you are warned :D

Back