What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT Cuttings

When is the best time spring only or can I rip a leaf off now and as long as it's got the white bit at the bottom, add rooting power, then place on wet peat...

Question is when is the latest time to do such a thing...

Wayne

You can do it whenever you want. Besides when it's dormant, I guess.

Just I read repot etc in spring so I thought you would take them then normally... But I would like to try a couple to see else's it's another few more months to wait.

noddy

How many leaf pulls can you get away with, before you kill the plant...?

Noddy

Around 40% leafs taken I have heard is ok.

Ok that's cool

Many thanks Noddy

I have actually had good success with previous years traps in early spring. Just after they break dormancy, pull a few of the older leaves.

I actually had one strike that was only about 1.5 inches of stem. I cut the trap off the previous fall because it was turning black. I kept the green part for winter and pulled it in spring.

I can show a pick if anyone is interested.

Yes Please

I have bought some new plants, that have been sent in without soil so I thought while it's out I'll pull two or three, to try this method. However this bit is rather new to me... But I am sure once you know what your looking for it's really easy.

Two leafs have gone way black, the others are holding greenish, all done at the same time. How long before I see signs from the time of pulling would be great also.

Noddy

I did 3 leaf pullings 5 weeks ago and one off them are showing bigg signs off a new leaf forming :) and the 2 other are on the way but mutch slower.. But all in all 3 off my 3 pullings was sucess :) My best tipp is dont give up on them until they are completly black.

My looks like this:

Hi thanks for that image

Thats a great help..

I'll post a image ap of what I got so people can see, I think the die back must be because there's not enough white when the pulling was made!

Noddy

Here is the one I had strike from a previous years stem. Make sure you pull from the bulb so there is some white part of the bulb. I think this is the most important thing to do.

My leaves are not lasting five weeks ;-( & they had white bit's on them...

Advice please ...

Noddy

My leaves are not lasting five weeks ;-( & they had white bit's on them...

Advice please ...

Noddy
What conditions are you keeping them in?

This what I did ...

I pulled the leaf down to rip the white part of the root, then dipped it in hormoe powder, the laid it on damp peat, put very very little over the white bit then left it. These are in the same place as the other plants... Where they grow.

Noddy

Sounds like you're doing it right. It could be the rooting hormone that's killing them. When I use hormones in tissue culture, the tissue has a tendency to die faster. You absolutely don't need it for doing pullings.

Is just the top leaf part dying or is the entire thing, white bit at the base and all, dying? If it's just the top part with the trap and leaf base, that's normal. The important part to keep alive is the little white bit near the base.

Hi

This was the stuff I used on the roots so now I am avoiding it

DSCF9206.jpg

These are to leaf pulls taken today... from a Low Giant

DSCF9205.jpg

DSCF9203.jpg

DSCF9201.jpg

I have now place the root part under damp peat... does this look ok to you...

As for the dying trap well roots came with it so who knows what the success on that will be .... Advse welcome...

As here are the other's that failed with the root hormone powder....

DSCF9171.jpg

DSCF9172.jpg

Noddy

Back