What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few plants to show

• Thread starter Mesaman
  • Start date
vraev- I totally agree. I have seen tens if not hundreds of thousands of cultivated vft in my 35 years of growing cp's and I can honestly say that mesaman is bar none the single best vft grower I have ever encountered. I just stand in awe at his abilities. And I am seriously not kidding folks when I say that you can literally HEAR his flytraps snapping shut..they're just that freaking big.

Thank you Philcula, I appreciate that greatly....Well, now that I have mastered growing VFT"s I think I will try growing a few cattleya orchids to see what might happen.:-D

Thank you Philcula, I appreciate that greatly....Well, now that I have mastered growing VFT"s I think I will try growing a few cattleya orchids to see what might happen.:-D

Cattleya orchids??? I grow TONS of those dude. I'm all for that.

So whats the TRICK then

Noddy

I can surely understand Phil. I know trap closure speed can be dependent on a number of things...but when I had some intense red thriving VFTs.... I used to watch my VFTs catch escaped crickets in my tank.....holy crap they were fast.
But lol.....Mesaman....phil is right....those are just picture perfect plants man. Immaculate job at it as well...not a single dead trap....everything is a nice clean rosette. Even your media is nice and clean of weeds or mosses.

having seen those with my own eyes those pictures DO NOT do those flytraps justice! they are simply amazing!!!!! Ive never seen more crazy flytraps! those things are HUGE! like Phil said you can hear them snap!

I've noticed similar results. ???

Even with plants that got dabbled sunlight got more color then compared to full sunlight.

I do not know why this happens either, it could be that the poly intensifies the UV

Peter D'Amato has observed that plants of all species colour up better in the areas of his greenhouse with frosted/defused panels versus clear panels or direct sunlight.

And I've seen equal or better results of plants grown under lights, but then almost everybody here doesn't believe you can grow Dionaea under lights.

Peter D'Amato has observed that plants of all species colour up better in the areas of his greenhouse with frosted/defused panels versus clear panels or direct sunlight.

And I've seen equal or better results of plants grown under lights, but then almost everybody here doesn't believe you can grow Dionaea under lights.

While I now grow Dionaea exclusively outdoors (and I am one of the few here who believe that you could grow them under lights if required), I have noticed that those in slightly shaded areas -- not receiving an entire day's direct sun -- are always the first to color up each Spring; and those plants are also the most intensely-colored and potentially the largest . . .

Thanks again everyone for the nice compliments.

Noddy: I grow the flytraps in a sand/peat mixture. I like to give the flytraps more sand in the mix than I do for sarracenias. make it so it is almost gritty. A lot of growers use perlite, and I try to stay away from that. Plant in deep pots (4-5 ") and do not waterlog. Sit in 1/2" of water.

My experiences are similar to NaN's here. My plants look best grown under artificial lights. Of course, it's very difficult (but not impossible) to do this long term, so I usually only keep them under lights for a month or so until I can get some tissue to harvest for tissue culture. It's much easier to keep the plants clean indoors under lights, and clean tissue is the key to successful tissue culture.

Back