What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT Flower question..

My typical VFT is flowering and I have read and know how to pollinate them. But the flower heads or buds or what the english name is, are not all open yet at the same time so should I pollinate them seperatly or wait until all is opened up ? look the pic :)

I wonna get the most seeds I can get hehe..

for me, The flowers open one at a time, closing before the next opens. I think that they will self, but it helps if you have another flowering plant if you want lots of seed.

Actually, I recommend cutting off the whole flower and propagating it. You won't hundreds of seeds, but you'll quickly get about 5 or more plantets that will mature a lot quicker than seeds.

My typical VFT is flowering and I have read and know how to pollinate them. But the flower heads or buds or what the english name is, are not all open yet at the same time so should I pollinate them seperatly or wait until all is opened up ? look the pic :)

I wonna get the most seeds I can get hehe..

Dionaea
generally self-pollinate or insects and wind manage that for them -- if grown outdoors. I have never failed to get seed from the plants . . .

i let my VFTs do what they will, and it is neat to see the tiny fly traps spring out of the top of the flower. very weird looking.

With only one plant, I'd use the pollen from the most recently opened flower to pollinate any flowers that have a receptive stigma. That way you should be able to pollinate all of them except the last flower that opens. For that, you could save some pollen on a q-tip or small paint brush.

Back