What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My little red Dionaea

Below are some photos of a Dionaea I purchased off ebay. The seller does not know its origin or whether it's a cultivar or not but I like it all the same. He says that it has always stayed as a small plant and it seems to be staying that way for me too, with the traps being no bigger than 15mm, so it may be a miniature.

SS851344.JPG

SS851352.JPG

SS851368.JPG

If it stays like that, it could be something similar to 'Petite Dragon'

If it stays like that, it could be something similar to 'Petite Dragon'
That's what I thought too... but of course I won't be labellings it as such as I have no evidence to say that it is and the world of VFT names is already in a mess due to mislabeling.

I agree that renaming an unknown plant with a cultivar name is a bad idea. One hint is that when the plant flowers, check to see if it consistently has a bifurcated scape. That is a characteristic of 'Petite Dragon'.
VFTPetiteDragon1780.jpg

I agree that renaming an unknown plant with a cultivar name is a bad idea. One hint is that when the plant flowers, check to see if it consistently has a bifurcated scape. That is a characteristic of 'Petite Dragon'.
Is this characteristic exclusive enough to single it out as this cultivar?

Is this characteristic exclusive enough to single it out as this cultivar?
Perhaps not, but I grow lots of VFT clones and 'Petite Dragon' is the only one that consistently produces bifurcated scapes. However, it is safer to not rename unknown plants based on a guess. Perhaps your ebay seller may know where the plant originated.

Back