What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OK OK OK OK It's going to be shut down time soon, what's the best method please ...

Hi all ... Interesting debate...

Are there some that will take more colder winters than other's... ?
Whats the coldest some has had one down to and survived... reason I ask this is because I have seen VFT with frost on them and yet there' alive...

As per the info that bog gardens live better... How about putting all the pots in a tray and just back fill with peat, as if they was in there help keep them warm? is that a wise move.

I do worry through loosing the exotic ones that's all... I'll ask uncle as he has bonsi in the garden also, I am sure he knows the temp's per year ...

Cheers All Noddy

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

I asked, it's been as low as -10c in the green house!

Pause for thought

Noddy

Fridge methodm is the safest and most garanteed way in my opinion, ...
When I first started keeping VFTs, this is what I heard from 'everyone'. Tried it for a few years & lost every VFT that I kept in the frig. :censor: Tried keeping them in the unheated garage with the Sarrs (usually freeze solid for a month or so) and lost most of them again. For over 10 years now I've kept my VFTs (& 'outside' Cephs) in a back basement room under lights all winter. It gets down to ~40*F in there. Haven't lost one since I started this {as he knocks on wood}. :boogie:

Hi you talking -40F or 40F

Also why use lights when every says there not needed

Noddy

He means +40F..
no basement is ever going to reach -40F! ;)
the squiggly line symbol ~ as in: ~40F means "around 40F"

and people keep misunderstanding the "no light needed" thing..
light is not needed ONLY if your plants are REALLY cold all winter..
like 35F all winter..like the fridge or other cold place..
if your winter dormancy is in the 40's or 50's (or outside) then some light is good..

Ron,
if you always lost plants in the fridge, they perhaps they were not dormant when they went into the fridge..
where were you growing them? indoors or outdoors?

many people do the "fridge method" incorrectly..there is only one correct way to do it..

Scot

So what does anyone thing of the peat potting idea please. Noddy

So what does anyone thing of the peat potting idea please. Noddy

I think its unnecessary, a waste of time and peat! ;)

a small container of peat wont provide any real insulation value..
if you really wanted to provide some good winter protection, bury the pots in the ground,
then cover with leaves..although thats probably not really necessary either..

seriously..zone 8..very warm..same zone as native VFT range..leave outdoors 24/7/365 and dont worry about it..if you get an unusual cold snap, move plants to the garage, then move back outside when night are at or above zero degrees C (32F) again..

you are overthinking this! ;)
you have it incredibly easy..

Scot

Well Scottychoas that's me I guess... I have nearly perfected a auto watering system too... to avoid dry out in summer ;-)

But some of the exotics are not so cheap or easy to come by thus I am concerned as for watching the weather that I don't do ... NOT A TV person at all...

So there we have it...

I had a crazy thought today... How about popping your VFT in the loft over winter, cool not freezing due to radiated heat from ceiling thus no freeze, and since they need no light all is cool... What yeah think?

Noddy

Bad idea

I had a crazy thought today... How about popping your VFT in the loft over winter, cool not freezing due to radiated heat from ceiling thus no freeze, and since they need no light all is cool... What yeah think?

Noddy

icon-banghead.gif

Noddy..
im seriously confused here..
why do you keep coming up with completely unnecessary and complicated dormancy ideas that you dont have to do because you can just keep your plant outside 24/7/365???

icon-banghead.gif

Scot

Here is the reason....

scottychaos

I am limited as may some other people, but I life 650 above sea level, the high point in the southeast of the UK, we get snow where as down below it does not settle (WARMER)

We have recorded -10 in the greenhouse

So I am looking for a option that's not going to kill my plants, rather than having to check and worry about the weather.... Simples (",)

Wayne

Brief freezes to -10 C is fine for venus flytraps. I've done it! Just don't keep them super wet during the winter.

Hmm

That makes live a lot easier...

Noddy

Or you could just throw them in a shed or garage, even if it doesn't have any windows. They don't need light whilst dormant.

This... I put mine in the garage by a window, water them maybe once a month, the window is always covered by blinds so the light is quite dim... they came right back.

Hi thanks Kayota

We will see, it just some are rare to locate so I don't wish to loose $300 worth of plants this winter that's all... I all understand!.

Noddy

Back