What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Banded Flytrap

Clue

clippity-clip-clip
Yesterday, I stopped by a local nursery to get some reeds for an Aldrovanda tank. As I passed through the aisles, on my way to the pond area, I stopped and heard a familiar cry: "Mommy, can I have a flytrap? Please?" And of course, "No, honey, you'd kill it." And he probably would. I picked up a species of Carex (nice variegated one, too) and some cuttings that the manager gave me (a lily and some parrot's feather).

As I strolled down again to purchase them and leave, I decided that the upright nature of the VFTs was quite nice. I opened the top off of the container and checked. Not limp, so it would be a nice addition to my collection.

As I went home, I carefully removed that dumb tube that it was is. As I did, I noticed a bright red band under the trap margins (Poor description = pics needed) and some very nice red coloration for a death-cube. Pics to be added.

And now a question: Do any of you have a plant like it?

EDIT: Here's a picture that might represent it well. Elgecko, do you mind?

VFT_Typ_RedLine.jpg

Woah! If the traps (all of them, or just one?) stay like that, that would be an awesome plant to have around. Congrats on the find, Clue.

Woah! If the traps (all of them, or just one?) stay like that, that would be an awesome plant to have around. Congrats on the find, Clue.

The old traps, from before the nursery got them, all have the red band under them. Even if they don't produce those same bands all the time, it has nice trap coloration and an upright nature. Two bonuses IMO.

Many of my B52s get that particular narrow band along that margin; and what are B52s really, but an out-sized typical flytrap?

Did your plant come in a plastic cylindrical tube? If so, I think I have the same exact plant. There was a company in California (can't remember their name now) that distributed a ton of them two years ago. I didn't see any this year, but I'm sure they're producing them out of TC and that means they're all genetically identical.

My plant will get nice red lines on it if it's growing under good fluorescent lights, but it usually doesn't happen in natural sunlight.

I've seen those in local grocery stores. I believe they are Botanical Wonders latest kits, not sure though. The Typical I got from the local Grocery Outlet in one of those is doing ok, although it had died back to one leaf and trap when I originally got it.

I placed my plant outside in direct sunlight and it did not retain the nice red stripe on the newer leaves.
I was going to try growing it some different locations to see what might cause it to return, but the plant died in dormancy last year.........

If it's sold in a tube and in California it is probably from Bloomrite (aka Nurseryman's Exchange). See the picture in this post although they revised the artwork one or two years ago. It should say "I'm hungry...for Bugs!" on the current ones.

NME tissue cultures their own plants, they also get them from Booman Florals in California. NME also has a distribution center in Florida and the probably get their plants from AgriStarts III.

That coloring pattern does not appear to very stable.

I get those red bands on many of my flttraps.
This is not the best shot of them, but the plants are outside in full sun for at least half the day. These are all typical flytraps I've had for probably 10 years or more. With mine anyways it seems like they need lots of full sun to get really red.
JMatt

dsc03482f.jpg

My Gold Strike gets the opposite pattern -- red base, green stripe. :)

It looks like blood coming out of the trap. Gross in a really cool way.

You have an Aldrovanda tank? Where did you find the Aldrovanda?

Same clone here perhaps? its the darkest, most intensely colored traps of all of my "typicals" and i got it from a deathcube last may....it also has that deep red band along the outside of the trap.

CPs9-9-09006.jpg

Back