What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identifying Seedlings?

Is it possible to identify which cultivar seedlings belong to? I know each one will probably be different, and a lot will probably end up being typicals, but how early can you identify a cultivar, if at all?

Cultivars cannot be maintained through seeds. A cultivar must be divided from the mother plant to be maintained.

Yup, French3z is right. However the characteristics of the parents will show up in varying degrees in the seedlings. Pick the ones you like and repeat !

Oh I see. So you can't recreate a cultivar through seed, only "create a new" one?

Correct Nick, but before it is recognized as a cultivar it must stand apart from the typical form or other registered cultivars and then must be registered. Only then will it attain a name such as B-52 or Akai Ryu.

Yeah, makes sense. Thanks for clarifying that for me Frenchez and droseraguy

Well, before Pyro steps in, I'd like to point out that, technically, some cultivators can be reproduced through seed. The only one I can name off of my head right now is S. leucophylla 'Hurricane Creek White,' but I know there are others.
However, as the others said, cultivators should only be reproduced through vegetative means as a general rule.

actually that is incorrect
a very limited number of seeds may carry the cultivar trait.
how else do you think we get many of the hybrid cultivars that are crossed between two
a high percent, usually all will be typical but there are instances where it passes through seed. :)

EDIT:
Although if it does contain only a few of the traits, it is not the cultivar
it must match description perfectly and as far as i know the only ones that can be done easily are
Dentate Traps
Justina Davis
or other color variations so long as it matches perfectly with cultivar description

Technically, any plant that matches the cultivar description is the cultivar unless it specifically states: "this certain clone" or "vegetative propagation only ". Cultivars are based on looks, not lineage, except when it is specified as such.

That being said, some cultivars can be reproduced by seed and hold somewhat true, such as D. 'Petite Dragon's' bifurcated scape, but because it denotes a certain clone only (I believe), the seed result should be labeled D. 'Petite Dragon' F2 (F2 denotes second-generation crosses).

:)

actually that is incorrect
a very limited number of seeds may carry the cultivar trait.
how else do you think we get many of the hybrid cultivars that are crossed between two
a high percent, usually all will be typical but there are instances where it passes through seed. :)

EDIT:
Although if it does contain only a few of the traits, it is not the cultivar
it must match description perfectly and as far as i know the only ones that can be done easily are
Dentate Traps
Justina Davis
or other color variations so long as it matches perfectly with cultivar description

Then how is it incorrect? All I said was it could be accomplished. I did not say every plant that germinates will become the cultivator.
Under the description's of many cultivators, it is stated that the plant should not be reproduced by any other means than vegetative divisions; Some do not, which in turn indicates it is possible to reproduce them via seed. (Edit: ) Granted, you may not be successful in matching the necessary traits with your batch of seeds, it is still possible.

wasnt talking to you there didnt even see your post lol
i was talking to those people who said cultivar could NOT transfer

Well, before Pyro steps in, I'd like to point out that, technically, some cultivators can be reproduced through seed. The only one I can name off of my head right now is S. leucophylla 'Hurricane Creek White,' but I know there are others.
However, as the others said, cultivators should only be reproduced through vegetative means as a general rule.

Yes I stand corrected. There are a few exceptions such as HWC as Dart mentioned. I still do not understand/agree with some of the criteria as to how this all works but a few members here would be able to help out much more if you have more questions Nick. I guess you must just be careful and read carefully how the cultivar is allowed to be spread. As Clue pointed out some will say vegetative propagation only (division) which means seeds is not a viable method.

Not to point fingers but Pyro and Not a Number are a great resource.
I had a very similar question not too long ago which they were able to help out with in regards to this matter, maybe this will help you Nick: http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119321

Thanks for correcting me Dart ;)

Edit: That's the same link that Dart already posted...doy:censor:

Hey, no problem. I knew that you probably were already aware of that, but I just thought I would point it out for information's sake.

Back