What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

00 Fly Trap Status achieved by the BRITISH!, Operation "Slient Move"

Noddy,

When I see the combined depth, breadth & years of experience telling you that there is a good chance you have a spider mite infestation - personally - I would listen (& try to learn from what they were seeing). :nono:

Well, can't argue with experience, but I don't think there's enough content in that picture to conclusively prove that it isn't just a baby spider. The specks in the foreground could certainly be mites, but they could also be dust, little bits of substrate, or pretty much anything else. The web could easily have been made by a baby spider. The "mite damage" on the leaf could be sunburn, acclimation stress, or a blurry photo. I was shocked at how fast everyone screamed "spider mite!," as I don't see how even an experienced grower could make such a sure diagnosis.
In Noddy's defense, it's entirely the grower's business what he/she does about a problem. There's nothing wrong with giving advice, but if the grower chooses not to follow it that's their decision and they should not be ridiculed or patronized as a result.

Well, can't argue with experience, but I don't think there's enough content in that picture to conclusively prove that it isn't just a baby spider.
That's what I thought also. However, when I consider the source(s) and thought about it, I figured that it was likely they knew what they were talking about. It's one thing for me (who has grown plants for many years) to diagnose an issue and something else for these other guys to diagnose an issue. Their level of experience & knowledge is incredible. What I've seen is that people in the business can often see (& diagnose) a pest infestation from a distance that others would likely overlook until their plants were shriveled & close to death. Seeing something hundreds of times is different from seeing it a handful of times. I'm regularly amazed by how many times a noob (or sometimes - not a noob) has posted a pic with no idea they even had an issue and someone on the forum points out evidence of pests...

The specks in the foreground could certainly be mites, but they could also be dust, little bits of substrate, or pretty much anything else. The web could easily have been made by a baby spider. The "mite damage" on the leaf could be sunburn, acclimation stress, or a blurry photo. I was shocked at how fast everyone screamed "spider mite!," ...
Not 'everyone' said this. One of the things I quickly learned when I joined the various forums is that not all advice is the same. Within the forums are tidbits from folks who have grown more Nepenthes (or VFTs or Sarrs or dews or ...) than I likely will ever see. Adjacent to those pieces of advice are others from folks who have been growing their 2 Neps for 4 months (& may be in the 7th grade). People like to give advice whether they have a clue or not & there are no warning signs stating how truly experienced the contributors are...

as I don't see how even an experienced grower could make such a sure diagnosis.
Again - neither do I but I've learned that is all the more reason for me to listen & try to learn from what the experienced folks are seeing (which was all I stated in my post).

In Noddy's defense, it's entirely the grower's business what he/she does about a problem. There's nothing wrong with giving advice, but if the grower chooses not to follow it that's their decision and they should not be ridiculed or patronized as a result.
Absolutely & completely true. I didn't see any posts in this thread where he was being "ridiculed or patronized". If that was how you (or he) interpreted my post - I apologize. That was not my intent...

It's all good RL :D. I did interpret your post a bit extremely, and maybe I overreacted. I just felt the need to stick up for Noddy a bit.

Noddy,

When I see the combined depth, breadth & years of experience telling you that there is a good chance you have a spider mite infestation - personally - I would listen (& try to learn from what they were seeing). :nono:

I dont see an overwhelming amount of depth/breadth saying its spider mites..
a similar amount of depth/breadth says its NOT spider mites..
the conclusion is actually very inconclusive..

going back to page one..three members say its looks like spider mites..
two members say it looks like a regular spider, snd not spider mites..

definitely not a landslide for spider mites! ;)

Scot

I don't think he meant depth and breadth as in lots of individual people; he was referring to experience and expertise. Tony's well-established, highly respected nurseryman and both Pyro and NaN are extensively knowledgeable in matters of biology and botany (if I'm not mistaken, they're both professionals in the industry as well.) That's not to say that you don't have quite a few years under your belt, or that Kris isn't a very talented up-and-comer. But, really, it isn't quite as simple as three against two.
Besides, isn't it better to be cautious with things as destructive as spider mites? I can see where some spiders' webs might also resemble Noddy's picture, but I also don't see any particular reason to assume that it isn't mites. At the very least, it couldn't hurt to keep an eye on them or take minor measures like misting with water or dilute rubbing alcohol.
~Joe

Well SirKristoff YOUR WRONG ... That was a G14 brought in that's been outside.... just repotted by me that's all I'll have another photo for you soon if that will help you peeps to decide...

Since I only posted the image as I thought it was funny that what ever did was not eaten ;-)

On a serious note, lets get to the bottom of it ;-)

Here you go does this help you peeps

DSCF9420.jpg

Noddy

Noddy,
only you can get to the bottom of this! ;)
and you can do it very easily..

you must answer the question - "do you see spider mites"?
yes or no..
look closely at the webbing..get a magnifying glass if necessary..
do you see a bunch of tiny mites crawling around?
there should be a whole lot of them..they are usually reddish in color, although not always..
if its spider mites, they should be very obvious..

if its just a small "normal" spider, there will only be one of them, and you should be able to find him too..

another way you can solve the mystery..
take the one "infested" trap and wipe it clean of webbing..
use a q-tip or a tissue and carefully clean off all the webbing..

then watch over the next few days to see if the webs re-appear..
then look for multiple tiny mites or one spider..

it should actually be very easy to figure out if its spider mites or not..
and you can do it much more easily than any of us..

pictures over the internet cant solve the mystery..
only you, armed with a magnifying glass, can solve this 100%..

Scot

Well SirKristoff YOUR WRONG ... That was a G14 brought in that's been outside.... just repotted by me that's all I'll have another photo for you soon if that will help you peeps to decide...

Since I only posted the image as I thought it was funny that what ever did was not eaten ;-)

On a serious note, lets get to the bottom of it ;-)

Here you go does this help you peeps

DSCF9420.jpg

Noddy

You dont have to be so rude to someone who was trying to help you Noddy.
Not only did i back you up yesterday when someone called you names in a thread you posted against mods, but i tried to give you the benefit of the doubt that those werent mites and chiming in with what i thought it was. And its true, you were growing a flytrap indoors in a terrarium were you not? i mean it causes a huge fuss. how am i to know that it was not this flytrap, so excuse me for the confusion. Have fun getting advice from others, dont bother expecting any from me if your rude little escapade continues.

SirKristoff I am sorry if you took offence, however its not always best to assume...

I have them indoors and out & yes I wanted to jamjar them however took advise!. PS thanks for the support!
I have seen blood like spiders in the past however I have been all over the plant with a spy glass, nothing moving ... it's dust and as I first thought normal spider...

Though I am not sure if the red spider is the same as what your all on about...

As per my threads I have bought quite a few new versions, and there increasing as soon as I have the chance to obtain one...

SirKristoff if you don't wish to help then I respect that...

Noddy

Then maybe you should word things differently when you post
like thinking before you speak. I do not come here to type out an explanation on something only to be replied to in a rude fashion by a member who claims they have shipped out and received thousands of plants per week (referring to your "carnivorous plant imports" you spoke of in chatbox) when your first post here was a little under a year ago, requesting help on how to grow a VFT since you were new to them.
So, here we are, giving you advice and your rudely replying and not taking any advice or even considering what others tell you.

SirKristoff I was not refering to VFT plant but aquatic plants.. which are a lot easy to pack... ;-)

I know I have done it so that's all that matters...

I don't know it all, so there we have it... I have come to you as you do ;-)

SirKristoff, you mix it up with forum members on a regular basis. What's the story?

Have fun getting advice from others, dont bother expecting any from me if your rude little escapade continues.

i mix what up cp-connection
hes been rude to me many times and ive tried to help him and back him up even but he continues to be rude
im not mixing anything up.
the thread i was backing him up in which was the im angry with mods who discriminate thing, someone was calling him names and referring to other stuff I.E homosexuality etc and i backed him up, hell i even directly told Andy that this guy was being rude and offensive, i think its best that i just dont help people who are rude to me or others constantly.

Big hug SirKristoff...

Text can be read wrong, SO I TELL YOU NOW I AM NOT BEING RUDE TO YOU, OK...

Right please continue with the thread!

Noddy

Text can be read wrong...
So make sure it's read right. ;)

Anyway, if you're not seeing anything move and no damage to the plant (or plants), then it may be safe to assume that there isn't any spider mites. What I would do, though, is carefully get rid of the webbing and wait to see if the webbing reforms.

I've used photoshop to zoom in on that last photo and I don't see anything that looks like a mite. But again, only you can tell. Are they moving or not? Are there little moving things on it or not? I think we've done all we can to help you with the mite question.

Well I thought it strange however I was paying attention!

So it looks like I did have a 00 British Standard Spider after all... On a "Silent Move"

Noddy

Back