What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What kind of VFT is this?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
Yesterday, I went to a plant festival not too far from my house. They had carnivorous plants for sale and I got myself a couple, including this Venus Fly Trap. I can tell it's a cultivar, but not sure what kind (B52, Low Giant, Red Rosetted, etc). The guy selling it said that he doesn't know what kind it is and it's rosetted all the time.

Any idea?

VFT1.jpg

VFT3.jpg

Well. I want to say 'Low Giant'. But. With no label or anything, there's almost no way to tell and it may not even be a cultivar. So I would just label it as a typical. Besides, my VFT stayed rosetted this whole year as well, and I got it from Wal-Mart.

Yeah that could easily be a typical, they vary GREATLY from plant to plant when seed-grown.

while it resembles my low giant plants, i would never (and this is in my opinion) feel comfortable naming something a cultivar unless i knew exactly what it was (meaning came from a source, and was a cloned cultivar, unless it is transferable through seed).
So like a couple others have said, its best to keep it as a typical.
If the trait of low, ground hugging traps continues, and traps are decent sized, it may very well fit the cultivar description of low giant.

im not going to lie... but that plant doesnt look like its was cultivated by hand.... it looks like it was dug up on the side of the road. or is it just me?

Alex

...really? last I checked VFTs are native to the carolinas.

Kayota, plants are easily dug up in the carolinas and probably driven down to florida if that were the case...

as easy as any other state. and afaik VFTs can grow all the way down to northeastern FL.

Alex

EDIT: fixed. i meant northeastern

Last edited:
as easy as any other state. and afaik VFTs can grow all the way down to northwestern FL.

Alex

Dionaea grows in a very small area between North and South Carolina only.

Last edited:
Dionaea grows in a very small area between North and South Carolina only.

Actually, they were discovered growing in Apalachicola Forest in northern Florida.

Actually, they were discovered growing in Apalachicola Forest in northern Florida.

When? I've never heard that.
Can you provide a link?

Thanks.

There doesn't seem to be much info behind them growing there naturally. I'm not buying it.

Well, it is possible that some birds carried seeds with them during their migration to Florida. Same way Drosera Anglica is found on Hawaii

introduced by human hands? if not, I am calling them native as they clearly have naturalized.

How can you tell it is a cultivar? It doesn't have a distinctive color or teeth. The flytraps I bought at Home Depot and the 99 Cent store get just as colorful and big in a good year.

Here's a Home Depot plant from last year:
P7040130-1.jpg

P7040129copy-1.jpg

P7010131.jpg

Here's the same Home Depot plant next to a 'B52' - this year was bad - weather, mealybugs, aphids - you name it.
P8030044.jpg

Here are some 99 Cent Store plants:
01890015.jpg

The natural, historical range of Dionaea is a region around the North and South Carolina border. This species has been introduced and naturalized in California, Florida, England and Jamaica.

quote from wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_Flytrap )
''Although it has been successfully transplanted and grown in many locales around the world, it is found natively only in North and South Carolina in the United States, specifically within a 60 mile radius of Wilmington, North Carolina. [15] One such place is North Carolina's Green Swamp. There also appears to be a naturalized species of Venus Flytraps in northern Florida as well as populations in the New Jersey Pine Barrens.''

it has been introduced by humans in florida...

I can tell it's a cultivar, but not sure what kind
How can you tell it's a registered cultivar? Unless it was labeled when you purchased it, it's almost certainly a typical.
How can you tell it is a cultivar? It doesn't have a distinctive color or teeth. The flytraps I bought at Home Depot and the 99 Cent store get just as colorful and big in a good year.
Yep, good coloration and nice trap size isn't all that uncommon in typical Venus fly traps. I'd wager a lot of money that plant is just a typical and is not genetically identical to any registered cultivar.

There are vft's in growing in Florida, I've personaly seen them there. It is an accepted fact that they were introduced. Some guy, I forgot his name, admitted to throwing seeds out in Florida.

Back