What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dionea Propagation via Flower Stalk Cuttings

Recently i visited a fellow carnivorous plants grower, Bob Ziemer and learned an interesting way of Dionea propagation. He had cut off the flower stalks of the plants and inserted them into sphagnum moss. In many of the pots, small plantlets were visible. I am unsure if this technique only works with stem pieces with the flower buds, or if the stalk can be cut into multiple segments. I know many growers cut off their Dionea flower stalks because they believe they will slow growth. This flower stem propagation method would be a great use for those cut stalks.

That has been a common way of propagation for years, since most people I know trim Dionaea flower stalks and they would otherwise get discarded. The smaller segments also work quite well -- either planted horizontally or vertically . . .

For the ones that you just stick directly into the moss, how deep do you stick the cut off point?

allow a half to a fourth of the stalk to remain above the moss so the stem can still photosynthesize.

Back