What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Odd Curling

So I moved from my apartment to a bedroom at a friend's house. The bedroom has a nice south facing window, so I have put aside my plant light and am letting my plants do the full sunlight thing.

Oddly enough, I just noticed this:

VFT-1.JPG

VFT-2.JPG

Any thoughts? These guys are right next to the window, I am wondering if they are getting cooked. I was thinking of moving them outside or into the fridge for winter "soonish", as well, as I do not think they're getting the proper cues for dormancy on their own -- kinda worried about taking them from a 75-80 degree bedroom to a 20-60 degree outside.

All I see is a pair of pizza boxes.

Can you re-try the pictures?

Try now? I forgot to install DynDNS updater. ;)

I've seen that on really p*zzed fly traps. Some of my rescues did it yesterday. I think you may be right, that they are getting cooked by the glass.

The move process might have did some too -- the plants were moved in low temperature and didn't get much/any sun for 1-2 days. The second one was biting onto the trap right to it's right, as well. Not sure what that was about -- the traps appear to have just closed on their own.

Mine did that when I put some largish prey in a trap, then tried to shove it farther in with a pencil. I folded one leaf over, and the other leaf folded itself on top of that... It's nothing bad, in my experience. It COULD be something else...??? It would be an intersting experiment to cut a VFT leaf in half, and trigger the part still on, and see how far it curls over.
I hope it's okay!
Aslan

I think it's a crossed signal or something. The leaves didn't close in sync, and one in the lead kept going.....

They still haven't uncurled. I'm thinking it's some kind of shock.

Huh. Mine did, and are catching things. They'll get over it, eventually.

Back