What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oustide for Dormancy?

Last year I put them in the fridge. This is my second dormancy.

I know it would be fine from past experience ( I just now recall), but I was wondering, how would one care for flytraps in zone 10 during dormancy. I want to keep them in full sun. Just keep them slightly moist?

A second question. I put two plants in a 6-inch pot, and they are crowding each other out. I want to get them out and divide them up. When should I do that?

Thanks guys

Last edited:
my plants are usually around 20ºF or lower during winter and most all do perfectly fine, the only fussy ones with me are S. leucophylla....

I'm in zone 10 in coastal Los Angeles. The winter nights are in the 40's. 50F and below is plenty cold for them.

Just keep the medium damp enough so the roots do not dry out. Sunlight isn't all the important when they are dormant. I have a few that lose their leaves every winter. And obviously they don't get much light in the refrigerator.

Flytraps can be repotted any time although many prefer late winter/early spring. If you are dividing the plants it is probably best to do it when they are growing so the wound will heal faster.

Outside should be just fine. Try putting them on a porch, or somewhere protected from the sun a bit, and keep the soil moist, but not soggy.

I really want to keep 'em in full sun. I am led to believe that they could be kept moist in full sun. I think the extra energy during dormancy might give them a head start. ???

What I'm really thinking of is my sars. I would like to keep them in full sun for sure. The VFTs can go in the fridge, but not the sars. My flava is still putting up pitchers, howbiet slowly.

I have my sars in 2 foot + deep pots. They sit in about a half inch of water constantly right now. Before that it was 2-1 inch.

I guess I have to be careful not to get any of them too wet. Rot is a problem, but I'm that sure full sun helps.

Will the plants gain any advantage by keeping them in the same place all year long?

Those two flytraps I mentioned have split into five potential plants each. One of those was a SW giant 14 months out of TC. It flowered, then proceeded to grow like a weed! LOL! 2 years and I'd say its mature.

Back