What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBC One - Life - Jaws of Death

The squealing noise they used during the trapping sequence in this video was rather distressing. Flies don't squeal, at least not at human audible levels... Imagine the chorale of horror we'd hear on our patios in the summer if they did!

That's the noise they make when they try to beat their wings inside the trap. Sounds like squealing, but it's just the wings vibrating.

guys, in the states they doing something of the same nature. The show is also called life, its on the discovery channel every sunday. just letting you know. Im not sure if its literally the same show but it might be to be honest.

guys, in the states they doing something of the same nature. The show is also called life, its on the discovery channel every sunday. just letting you know. Im not sure if its literally the same show but it might be to be honest.
The Life series was created by the BBC in association with the Discovery Channel, amongst other, so I guess that what you refer to is the same one. I read that the Discovery Channel USA version is narrated by Oprah Winfrey, rather than David Attenborough who did the UK and Discovery Channel Canada narration. It must be coming near the end now, as it premiered in the USA on 21st March and there are ten episodes in the series - though the Discovery Channel will no doubt repeat it for years to come.

Yea they have different narrarators, i only watched the first 3-4 because i simply forgot to record it the rest of the way but i can just find it online or wait for the many re-runs like mobile said. i think oprah only did 1 or maybe more im not sure i only watched up to the 1 time she narrarated the ocean one.

I feel Oprah does not have the "touch" as David Attenborough had.

I fondly remember watching Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom with the family while I was growing up on Sunday evenings, I thnk. That was a great show. I don't remember who hosted it, but I seem to recall he was older than most of the trees in the background.

Yeah, I'll be waiting for the D.A. version to be available over here before buying it. Going to pass on the Oprah version for some reason...why they chose her over David is mind boggling.

I don't get why they even do that. Sir David's narration is just impeccable. WHy do they have to change it to an american narrator? Seriously...stupid discovery channel. yup! I am going to just wait for the DA version of blu ray release.

I don't get why they even do that. Sir David's narration is just impeccable. WHy do they have to change it to an american narrator? Seriously...stupid discovery channel. yup! I am going to just wait for the DA version of blu ray release.

They did the same damn thing with the BBC production, Walking with Dinosaurs, some years back, that had originally been narrated by Kenneth Branagh; not only did they replace him with an American, but they also dumbed-down the script quite a bit . . .

Thats why I just download the "english" versions of all documentaries. :p ;) However, I am still eagerly wating for the entire collection of Sir David's documentaries to be released in NTSC version. For instance...the LIFE collection from birds, plants, mammals, insects etc...a whole set in NTSC without stupid version changes to different narrators.

No -- that link notwithstanding -- it's generally just to appeal to different markets; and no legitimate American-produced science program that I know of -- Nature, Scientific American, or any of the National Geographic productions that I have seen -- have ever shied away from Darwinism or natural selection. That those BBC shows have been censored by the Dutch, of all people, came as a great surprise -- especially after visiting Amsterdam . . .

That's the noise they make when they try to beat their wings inside the trap. Sounds like squealing, but it's just the wings vibrating.

Edit - it's not the wings, it's actually the breathing holes insects have along their body apparently. So a scream of sorts.

Back