What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trap size

• Thread starter J-rod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft
Does any one know what really induses larger traps on a VFT?

steroids..? :scratch:

Here's some advice from Barry's FAQ.

"The best way to get the largest traps from your plant is to take care of it as best as you can. A happy plant is a big plant."

everything....
lighting
humidity
water
feeding
genes

Does any one know what really induses larger traps on a VFT?
Genetics is by far the biggest player in trap size, assuming you take good care of your plant.
Here's some advice from Barry's FAQ.

"The best way to get the largest traps from your plant is to take care of it as best as you can. A happy plant is a big plant."
This is by far the best advice. A healthy plant, potted in a deep pot with a good soil mix that's kept moist, but not too wet and never dry will grow large traps, especially if it gets a meal from time to time.

Ok guys thanks for the advice, but does the size of rhizome play a roll in the size of the trap? For exp. I have two B52 one with a 1 1/2" rhizome and a division with a 1/2 rhizome but yet the plant with the larger rhizome still made smaller traps.

I thought not to let the plant flower as the first step to help with this (",)

Flowering can drain energy from a plant- but if the plant is healthy, it's no problem (it will affect an unhealthy plant much more than a healthy one). I'd say that by far, the most important points are very strong lighting, adequately watered soil and feeding (based on the result's I've had with feeding VFTs and Drosera). To produce even bigger traps, humidity and temps may also help....

my 0.02 $

Back