What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

clones

hey everyone is it possible to clone a vft ? from a cutting does anybody know and has anyone tried it i guess all that is needed is a shoot can i do this or not ?

clones happen when asexual reproduction occurs, so yes. tissue culture, leaf cuttings, root cuttings, flower cuttings etc, are all forms of asexual reproduction. 100% genetically identical to their parents.

coool and at what age of the plant do you suppose the cuttings be taken ? well at least untill the plant can handle it and not die also can you use nutes for carnivorous plants ?

it should be better if you have more mature plants because the leaves would last longer- which would allow more time for the buds to form. when you do make leaf pullings, make sure you have a portion of the rhizome attached to the leaf. im sorry im not familiar with nutes. what are those?

hmmm ok cant i do a root cutting rather than a leaf ? search online for plant magic that is a nute some guy recons it is a professional nute and can be used on all plants

If by nutes you mean nutrients then no! In general nutrients are bad for all carnivorous plants. You can use them in a highly diluted amount but you run a high risk of killing the plant ( to much nutrients, salt build up). You can do either root or leaf type cloning. Root cloning tends to destory the "mother" plant, leaf does not (if done in moderation). If you are looking to mass produce plants your best bet is tissue culture. All methods take some time to produce cloned plants.

it's not really a root cutting, it's more like a rhizome cutting. do you know what nute is composed of? i would avoid anything and everything that has to do with fertilizers. usually when there's a statement saying "used on all plants" CPs are not usually in mind because of their different demands.

VFT will self clone once a while.. it will send up a planlet from the rhizome and eventually seperated from the main plant.

Back