What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How I can tell if VFT is dying?

I just got a new B52 and I am not sure if it liked my process of potting. How soon I would see if plant start to die and what would be first signs?

I just got a new B52 and I am not sure if it liked my process of potting. How soon I would see if plant start to die and what would be first signs?

The leaves would all start turning black.

I don't quite understand what you mean, are you trying to kill your B52 on purpose? If you follow these steps I m sure your "B52" will live

1. standard soil for VFT half peat half perlit/sands or pure peat is fine too
2. always sit in a water tray with water.
3. never press the soil way too firm when potting it.
4. give it as much as light as possible. (natural sunlight is a must)

I have killed many of my VFT, I found they pretty hardy as long as you don't use fertilizer or any kind of chemical to burn their root. and always keep the soil wet. and keep them outdoor with direct sunlight. and your "B52" will be georgous :D

Hm maybe I have put soil too tight around root. I would feed plant some blood and maybe than plant would be happy, lol.

Hm maybe I have put soil too tight around root. I would feed plant some blood and maybe than plant would be happy, lol.

:0o: BLOOD!!! What kind of blood you gonna use? Maybe some day it will turn into a blood craving VFT and asking you for blood :-))
No seriously, you will be surprise what VFT can do by itself outdoor :-D

Edit: blood is too rich for VFT right???

if the plant is starting to die, you will see blackening of the leaves, and rotting of the rhizome, generally turns brown and mushy

yep, during the growing season, dont expect to see opened traps for very long ;D if its anything like it is up here for me, maybe one out of every 6 or so traps on a plant is opened at a given time, except my darker trapped ones. those are usually left well alone haha.
here are some lucky photos i got with most traps opened
DSC026572.jpg

DSC02657.jpg

DSC026574.jpg

Cool photos. I was just kidding about blood. I was watching too many times Little Shop of Horrors

They do best when in LFS and not standing water. They need direct (outside) light. Green & red - good. Yellow & black - bad.

What do you do guys when outside is cloudy for whole week and you don't have any special light for plants?

VFTs are from North Carolina, where you are. So long as they're in a spot that gets direct sunlight all day when it's clear out you don't need to move them. It rains sometimes in their natural habitat, so they'll forgive you for not moving the clouds out of the way. ;D
~Joe

Back