What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B52 characteristics (outside banding)

It's an odd coincidence that I'm posting twice today about two different kinds of banding today.

This one is about B52, and has me kind of confused:

I received a B52 from tissue culture from David Conner, which came in a "clump" of two plants sharing a rhizome and were in the process of dividing. I've been growing it for about 4 months now.

The "parent" B52 has no external banding on the outside of the traps (last attachment), although there's a hint of it on the right side if you look closely. The smaller plant has *very* pronounced red banding on the outside of every single trap its produced (first two attachments). I have not yet divided the rhizomes but there are two distinct growth points. I checked the growth points twice to confirm the banding was only on one plant.

What gives? Is it due to the age of the plant?

Are B52's known for such red banding? I have a B52 outdoors that doesn't have banding either.

a localized mutation? you said from TC---there could have been a kink or a recombination event that caused the banding during the replication process. they should do a fly-trap genome project.

Red banding like that is quite common with that cultivar and many -- if not all -- of my B52 plants exhibit that, especially in Summer. It's also a function of the age of the plant, its exposure to light, and even the season. It has nothing to do with any tissue culture practice, since more than a few -- non-TC -- plants that I have came from original von Schmeling "B52" divisions and exhibit that same banding in bright light. Given enough time and sun, most will eventually have that feature, to a greater or lesser degree . . .

Here's a shot from Summer 2009 with that banding:

Dionaea muscipula cv. "B52"
B52-3.jpg

a localized mutation? you said from TC---there could have been a kink or a recombination event that caused the banding during the replication process. they should do a fly-trap genome project.

I wonder the same thing. And I agree, a flytrap genome project would be great.

Are there any sites with the list of cultivars with specific details as to the characteristics of each one?

Edit: Hey thanks Bella. :) Good to know.

well if banding is something that is characteristic of the B52, then no mutation occured--i guess you need optimal conditions in order to see those bands.

cpphotofinder is good for looking at all the different cultivars.

No problem. I actually didn't know about that database until just now. Pretty slick how you can sort by species.

xvart.

When a VFT is divided and the two are grown side by side, it's not unusual for one to look very different from the other for a while. Even in terms of growth habit - one can revert to a rosetted pattern and the other can grow upright.

Makes me think all VFTs have the ability to grow in any way and the usual hard wired habit of a particular clone can be altered by stress or a change in conditions.

When a VFT is divided and the two are grown side by side, it's not unusual for one to look very different from the other for a while. Even in terms of growth habit - one can revert to a rosetted pattern and the other can grow upright.

Makes me think all VFTs have the ability to grow in any way and the usual hard wired habit of a particular clone can be altered by stress or a change in conditions.

That's very true of Dionaea and, strangely also, of Heliamphora. Shade either genera a bit (20-30%) and both plants may grow larger; too much and they become etoliated -- Dionaea with large petioles and tiny traps and Heliamphora with tiny or no nectar spoons . . .

Back