What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dionaea Characteristics

Timmy

BANNED
Many people have asked, what VFT is this? Well I can solve that easily for you. Look at the color, cilia shape, and even trap shape.

Long teeth: If the Dionaea has long teeth then it shall be classified in the typical group (note some Dionaea can be in more than one group such as 'Akai Ryu').

Short teeth: If the Dionaea has short teeth or minute teeth then it should be classified in the Dentate Traps group such as 'Red Piranha' or 'Sawtooth'.

Red: If the dionaea has alot of red coloration then it should be classified in the Red group, such as 'Akai Ryu'.

Mutant: If the Dionaea looks odd in a way (such as cupped traps or teeth fused together in multiple clumps) then you should classify it in the Mutant group.

*But remember! Make sure these characteristics are on every traps, but even sometime it might not be stable such as "Pom Pom"

Really the safest bet is to just label it a typical or noid if unsure or unknown. Otherwise we have plants floating around that aren't really what they are thought to be, which of course is bad especially if they are being distributed in any form.

Is it me,
or is anyone else experiencing Déjà vu ? :crazy:

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122546
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122545

Maybe it's just my double vision!

I know there is sometimes a question of what category to post in...
But I don't believe that is necessarily the case here.

At least this mystery is solved at last!
Thanks for sharing. Interesting viewpoint.

There certainly seems to be a lot more pressure to be wise, knowledgeable and an experienced expert grower, than there was when I was younger.
Back then, one was accepted and treated pretty much like an equal, simply because they shared in common interests. Oh how I am glad I grew up back when I did!

Last edited:
even a vft with short teeth can be a typical. seriously, i don't get the urge of many people to categorize and name their plants.

They are all unique in their own way, you could distinct every typical vft and give it a name.

A typical vft I got from lowes just made a trap WITHOUT teeth. Yet it's still typical. I think single trap mutations happen all the time.

Back