What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maxsea 16-16-16

Does anyone have any experience using Maxsea fertilizer on their VFT's.
If you have used it what is your opinion ?

Ask the member "Chris_Himself" he'll tell you all about it. ;)

What did Chrishimself say on the subject ? Is there a link to his comments ?

What did Chrishimself say on the subject ? Is there a link to his comments ?

He chimes in every chance he gets in many threads on how well it works for him, I'm sure is he sees this thread he will tell you himself. Apparently, he gets pretty fast plant growth from it.

For chris_himself

Chris_himself ... If you happen to see this posting, please advise me if this is
a good plan for using the Maxsea ... If not please give me an alternative. I
hear you're the guy to ask on this subject ... Thanks

1. Mix 1 tsp to a gallon of distilled water.
2. Mist the leaves of the Flytraps and the soil heavily Maxsea mixture.
( I grow my Flytraps in large pots with excellent drainage )
3. The following day flush the soil with pure distilled water.
4. Repeat every 2 weeks.

Just for that Exo, I won't say anything about MS ever again unless somebody asks!

I don't use it on my VFT's anymore. I suspect that fertilizing VFT's does more harm than good and could be why mine look like crap these days. I use the standard 1tsp per gallon dosage on my Sarrs, but I've found that sundews and VFT's do not like to be fed unless it is very diluted, therefore negating the trouble it took to feed them in the first place.

On my neps I use 2tsp every 14 days, I don't really flush with distilled water since I pay for the stuff and can't afford to do it. I just water as I normally do.

Exo, I only rant about Maxsea cuz it's what works for me and I have some basketball sized cabbage heads and 2lb tomatoes to show for it! The cabbage was donated to my neighbors because I hate eating vegetables. I just like being good at stuff.

I went from this:
Late March

To this:
Early May

If you're wondering what it does to my neps:
N. x Miranda
N. Veitch x Platy 1 + my cute N. x Red Dragon
N. Veitch x Platy 2
Worst growing setup ever

The pitchers stay proportionate to the leaves, but be warned I could imagine things going differently if you didn't have your lighting sorted out. I can't actually get the pitchers into frame without removing my plants and as you can see, they're quite comfy and started growing into each others pots, but the pitchers this season are quite amazing. The heat wave and sudden change of climate did fry some of the younger pitchers though.

But yeah, don't fertilize your VFT's, they catch some pretty brutal prey already. Mine used to routinely take down a couple flies a day outside.

Back