What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Other Large Cultivars . . .

Here are a couple of other large cultivars, which have been circulating for many years before the "B52" -- including the "Southwest Giant" (aka "Slack's Giant" and "G16"), attributed to Adrian Slack and his Marston Exotics nursery back in the 1980s, and "Dirk Ventham's Giant," (aka "G14") also originally attributed to Slack. Both are seen here with their first large Spring leaves, approximately 3.8 cm (1.5") in length.

Back in 1998, I crossed one of the "Southwest Giants" with a "B52" but it will be some time before I know whether that F1 generation carries that large trap trait . . .

Dionaea muscipula cv. "Southwest Giant"
DMSWG.jpg

Dionaea muscipula cv. "Dirk Ventham's Giant"
DMDV.jpg

Last edited:
Both of these are very nice clones. I wasn't aware that G14 was a large trapped clone (I don't know much about it really), though I did know that it was also called "Dirk Ventham's Giant" so I suppose I should have known that it was considered a large trapped clone. I do grow it, but my plant was an infant last year and is just flowering for the first time this year, so it hasn't produced very large traps yet. For some reason I thought it was more commonly known for its deep red traps than the trap size.

How large are the traps on your G14? Mine appear to be average-sized compared to other similarly aged flytraps.

I also got a very small Southwest Giant at the same time as the G14 and I must say that I'm much more impressed with it. I really like the look of the traps and the cilia. It's a gorgeous plant and so far it appears to have larger than average traps (I can't say the same for my G14 yet) and to be more vigorous than the G14.

I'd say both are worth growing though :)

The "G14" produced the first large traps last season -- 4.83 cm (1.9") traps by late August. I too was a bit confused about that color issue in its description at www.cpphotofinder.com, but I've seen a variety of "G14s," both in terms of color and size, over the years; and the season is still a bit early. The "Southwest Giant" had easily been the largest plant I had on hand for several years -- that is, until the "B52" . . .

Last edited:
For some reason I thought it [G14] was more commonly known for its deep red traps than the trap size.

How large are the traps on your G14? Mine appear to be average-sized compared to other similarly aged flytraps.

I also got a very small Southwest Giant at the same time as the G14 and I must say that I'm much more impressed with it. I really like the look of the traps and the cilia. It's a gorgeous plant and so far it appears to have larger than average traps (I can't say the same for my G14 yet) and to be more vigorous than the G14.

I'd say both are worth growing though :)

The G14 is beginning to show its characteristic dark red coloration with its Summer traps, also the exterior banding. It simply takes longer than most of my other cultivars to "color-up" . . .

Back