What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

green dragon Vft photo

You can see trapped crane flies ;)

DSC00662.jpg

Whoah, that is BLOOD red. Not bright red, it looks like that trap in the middle caught a mammal or something!

Nice looking plant! I actually like my Green Dragons better than my Akai Ryus (Red Dragons). They seem to develop longer leaves and larger traps even though Red Dragon is supposed to be more vigorous.

mmlr38: Totally agree I like this variety too. Though I would say my (Red Dragons) are more vigorous,
But I like the coloration on green dragon better if I could say. (EC) -Drew

Out of curiosity, why is it called Green Dragon if it's so red? And what's with "Royal Red", as I've seen it as a synonym for Red Dragon as well.

it is called green draon because it has green edges I think, on the trap...

great plant!!!

As the ICPS states

"Carnivorous Plant Names Database

N: $[Dionaea ' Green Dragon ' {M.Erbacher & M.Stoeckl}]
P: Taublatt 51:25 (2005)
S: =[Dionaea muscipula {Soland. Ex Ellis}]
B: unknown
Nominant: anonymus ex M.Erbacher & M.Stoeckl, Ahaus & Moenchengladbach, DE
Registrant: M.Erbacher & M.Stoeckl, 19. 4. 2005
C: offered misleadingly as [Dionaea ' Akai Ryu ' {R.Gagliardo}]
HC: Registered 24. 11. 2005 {JS}
Description: Taublatt 51:25 (2005) (in German)
+ "(...) e.g. again and again one receives plants that display green
+ margins even in adult leaves and under intense sunlight. In this case
+ we are dealing with [Dionaea ' Green Dragon ' {M.Erbacher &
+ M.Stoeckl}]."
Standard: Taublatt 51:25 (2005)
Etymology: after the colouration of the plants"

Doesn't Red Dragon as well, though? Or is that just in not-optimal lighting?

i<3carnivores: Red Dragon in good lighting will turn completely turn dark red to a almost black red. Though Green Dragon will always have green on the edges of the mouth/trap. (EC)

-Drew

Oh cool, thanks electrcarnvrs!

i<3carnivores: Red Dragon in good lighting will turn completely turn dark red to a almost black red. Though Green Dragon will always have green on the edges of the mouth/trap. (EC)

-Drew
While that's what the cultivar description says, that's not been my experience with growing both of them, or most red clones for that matter. I can't really tell any of them apart. Red Dragon, Green Dragon, Holland Red and Royal Red all look very, very similar in coloration. In terms of trap size and growth characteristics, Red Dragon, Green Dragon and Holland Red all have long petioles with fairly large traps. If you lined them all up next to one another without labels, I don't think I could tell them apart.

here is a shot of my red dragon , looks similar too me too ,cept your green seems to have shorter trap arms and larger traps, Nice Nice!
IMG_2047.jpg

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 PM ----------

here is my red dragon , seems similar to me too cept yours seems to have larger traps by far.
Yours.
DSC00662.jpg
Mine
IMG_2047.jpg

Back