What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B52's in bloom

• Thread starter Av8tor1
  • Start date
Not very colorful yet but blooming like crazy, big one's too
B52_flowers.jpg

B52_flower.jpg

Last year at the peak of color :)
B52A0909.jpg

Av

those are some big flowers! and holy crap that is red!

Lots of flowers! Lots of red! Do you let your vfts always flower?

To be honest, I don't worry about vft's too much... they usually handle it well enough.
But this is the first time Ive let the B52's flower

Should make for some interesting seed stock

thx,
Av

You're going to get thousands of seeds with that many pods! Do b52 grow true from seed?

I dunno, but I wouldnt call them B52's

I did snip all the non B52 vft flowers though, so they will be B52 squared LOL or B52 F2 maybe ?.... ummm but I dunno about that

Why bother with seeds when I got a least a couple dozen strikes from flower stalk cuttings last year. I let them flower but got no seeds so I took the stalks for cuttings. The nice thick flower stalks stay green long enough to yield plenty of strikes.

David Connor reports many of F2 generation plants appear to hold the characteristics.

Warren, I dont need anymore mate... LOL, this clone is a brute. I just planned on giving the seed away... I owe Cindy some seed, so these would be good for her students :)

:)

Warren, I dont need anymore mate... LOL, this clone is a brute. I just planned on giving the seed away... I owe Cindy some seed, so these would be good for her students :)

:)

Ooh! Pick me, pick me! :-O

LOL, just a wee bit premature mate
;)

Maybe call the offspring B58s :)

Yes, they are quite vigorous. Mine did not fare well over the winter. Between mealybug and mite attacks and media that should have been changed the year before a couple of the korms shrank down to a quarter of the size of when I planted them 3 years ago but they've bounced back already.

I should add the couple dozen strikes were from only two stalks that I saved.

Nice looking pot o' B52s Butch!

B58 :-))

Pretty bird, but hopefully my Vft's will be less problematic and have a longer life ;)

Thx Matt :)

I generally allow a few of my B52s to bloom and crossed some a few years back with "Slack's Giant" and others (at a different locale) with other's of the same cultivar. Both groups are robust little plants for the time being and show every sign of having the same characteristics as the "parents" . . .

Dionaea muscipula "B52" x "Slack's Giant"
B52XSG.jpg

Those look great. Do you have any photos of the pot with the flowers open. Did you mix anything into your soil or is it just peat. Either way that is a very nice looking pot of VFT.

James,

basic peat/sand mix... and in the first pic some of the flowers are open. It was taken just prior to the post yesterday... so check back in a few days and Ill post an update for ya

Av

Back