What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's ailing my vft?

I hope that your VFT makes a full recovery nightsky! Keep us posted.

Just looking at the photos, its very obvious it cant possibly be sunburn..
absolutely no question..
there is no way the sun can burn both sides of a leaf, but leave the center of the leaf unburned..(top most leaf in the first photo)
that alone proves its not sunburn..
Took some photos of my sunburned Cupped Trap plants for you today Scot. I took a few hundred of them out of tissue culture vessels back in winter. I grew them under lights until about a month ago, where they grew well, and then moved them outside to watch them burn up. When I saw nightsky's photo it immediately made me think of my poor sunburned Cupped Traps:
a49fda9c22e2f8439ff29f62.jpg

What you write above as not being possible is almost exactly what I'm seeing on many of them, isn't it? I think that the center of the leaf is less likely to burn because the tissue is thicker there. And I'm not sure why you say that both sides of the leaf can't burn?

More photos of them here:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/carnivorous-plant-community/photos/album.html?userid=62&albumid=369

mmlr,
to me, your photo of the burned VFT's looks VERY different than nightsky's pics..
not even close..

your VFT's have a general burn..all over..there is no clear demarcation between the burned tissue and healthy green tissue..looks like your photo was probably taken several weeks after the burn? some of the leaves have turned black..that probably happened awhile after the burn..

Nightsky's VFT has areas that are clearly brown and dying, and areas that seem "unaffected" yet..still healthy and green..thats a very different scenario than your burn.

And I'm not sure why you say that both sides of the leaf can't burn?

I didnt say both sides *cant* burn..
I said "there is no way the sun can burn both sides of a leaf, but leave the center of the leaf unburned."
which is true...leaf thickness has nothing to do with it..

So your photo really doesnt look anything like nightsky's photos..very different things going on there..

Scot

2010Jun08001.jpg

man i'm bored on my day off...

To me, looks like either some type of fungus (what did the bulb look like when you repotted?) or bad water/soil. It's hard to know which, but its definitely not sunburn. The water amount sounds fine, I find my VFT are happiest when the soil is kept just moist, I put an inch of water in the tray, let that dry up, leave the tray dry for a day or so (the peat is still moist though) and then put more water in. I have found through my personal experience that they grow best with small amounts of water, they like damp but not soggy soil. Some have success growing them wetter but mine always rot, so this method I use works best for me. Actually, my pot of bigmouth have gone from just 5 plants to now well over 30, in one year. They have filled the 8 inch pot up and will soon be moving to a 12 inch pot. I use 50:50 peat:perlite, maybe you should try that sometime.

How low have your night time temperatures been? I have heard from people in the NW complain of record low temps. I am not sure if that has affected you where you are at or not. It either looks like that or intermittent lack of water. The new leaves look fine which would typically rule out anything chronic, like hard water or pests.

Back