What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Earwigs giving my plants problems!

I have a ton of earwigs that have decided to take up residence in the corrugated polycarbonate panels of my newest greenhouse. I sometimes catch them and feed them to my plants, but they often find their way into the traps themselves. However, I've noticed that they're able to chew their way out of traps! Check this out on one of my larger 1955 clones:
617b87efcc71e5e7c07d1ed8.jpg

They're also quite "slippery" and quick to find any daylight on the edges of traps. This guy almost got away, but not quite:
8d5510a111ce3969b0d00fcd.jpg

Maybe diluted Neem will help. Maybe bug killer spray that is harmless to plants? You need to hurry because, I used to collect them, and they bred like crazy.

old stale beer catches them by the hundreds out here.

I guess this is what Petmantis was talking about when he said he hated earwigs...... :p

Blue Moon, Matt. Would you be willing to waste it ;)

Sneaky little buggers. Interesting that they know they can chew through what has trapped them.

Strangely, the earwigs here in California haven't received that memo and my plants regularly chow down on them without an issue; in fact, they appear to be the most completely digested prey of all -- absolutely flat and dessicated remains . . .

I swear earwigs shouldn't even exist and they're some sort of abomination of nature...exoskeleton, omnivorous and pinchers on the ends of their bodies? I once soaked some (because I always find them under my bed...so gross. Only other thing under my bed is dust bunnies so I don't get it) in a closed jar of rubbing alcohol in full sun for a week straight and they were still alive after that. eewwwwwwwww :puke:

Back