What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestions on a Big Trapped Plant?

SOOOOOO.....

I'm growing a typical VFT and a 'red pirannha', and I'm getting a few more typicals to start a bog garden with the RP and a sarr species.

Now I want a plant or two that grows BIG TRAPS :-D. Any suggestions on a type of VFT that fits the bill (as soon as they come available at flytrapshop.com of course, I wouldn't dream of shopping anywhere else ;))

So far I've found the B52's and the 'low giants' to fit the bill. Any input? I love all of my CP's, but I have limited space and I really like the VFTs.

'B52' and "Low Giant" are certainly the two largest trapped flytraps that are readily available in the US. Neither one would be a disappointment for you, I'm sure.

my low giants have displayed traps far larger than my b52s ever did, i had one last year just at the 2" mark on trap size...gets a gorgeous color to it too...

my low giants have displayed traps far larger than my b52s ever did, i had one last year just at the 2" mark on trap size...gets a gorgeous color to it too...
That's a good point! Low Giants definitely color up better than B52s. But for me B52 beat Low Giant in trap size, though the difference is almost negligible.

i think its going to come down to if he wants a plant that hugs on the ground and does not produce straight tall petioles, or just that, a plant that produces the typical seasonal leaves of Dionaea....
thats really the only thing special about low giant other than its massive traps, it keeps very broad low petioles throughout the year

i think its going to come down to if he wants a plant that hugs on the ground and does not produce straight tall petioles, or just that, a plant that produces the typical seasonal leaves of Dionaea....
thats really the only thing special about low giant other than its massive traps, it keeps very broad low petioles throughout the year
Yep, that's pretty much what it comes down to. I think I'd get both ;)

;D definitely
Low Giant is great and so is B52...its so hard to decide, just kill 2 birds with one stone and get both

I will if I get the opportunity!

But most likely it'll be whichever one I find first at a good price :)

'B52' and "Low Giant" are certainly the two largest trapped flytraps that are readily available in the US. Neither one would be a disappointment for you, I'm sure.

A guy I know that grows and sells cps has a few cultivars/hybrids that are bigger then B-52 and low gaint. I bought one from him he called Mega Trap I can try to post a pic if I get a chance.
-Sean

A guy I know that grows and sells cps has a few cultivars/hybrids that are bigger then B-52 and low gaint. I bought one from him he called Mega Trap I can try to post a pic if I get a chance.
-Sean
I'll believe it when I see the photo ;) Seriously though, I'm very interested in getting one of them if what you say is true and verifiable. Any plant with traps over 2.25" in size is worth owning even though I'm not all that enamored with large traps like most people are.

By the way, there is a clone called "Megatraps" (aka G17) already in circulation:
http://cpphotofinder.com/dionaea-megatraps-2237.html
I suppose that's different than "Mega Trap", but similar enough to be confusing.

well its still young the traps are only about 1.5"
but the guy told me it gets bigger then B-52 and hes also coming out with an even bigger one next year
-sean

My B52s, Slack's Giant (aka "Southwest Giant"), and Dirk Ventham's Giant have all produced traps in excess of 5 centimeters (2.08") -- usually by late Summer or Fall. The largest is currently the SW Giant at about 4.4 cm (1.75") . . .

Back