What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small Flys Inside Soil

If I touch the soil of one of my VFT's flys come out of it. They are very small.

Im a bit worried as I only bought it a couple of days ago =(

Should it be kept separate from the rest?

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

Ive just noticed some white bugs in it too (More translucent than white). Ive moved it outside to dry it out and hopefully kill whatevers in there!

What color were the flies ?
If they are black they could be fungus gnats.
And those bugs they could be springtails, they're harmless afaik.

They were black, like the ones you find on an apple thats been left outside for a day.

Then i think they are fungus gnats, they could be a problem in large numbers.
Some ppl think the larvae eat roots of plants.
I got rid of mine by getting a ping :p

Thanks for that useful information, I have a sundew. But yes I will buy a couple of those!

Thanks for the suggestion!

yeah sounds like fungus gnats, adults are harmless, larvae will eat the roots off of seedlings....dews and pings are great for control on those guys

So my plants that are large should be fine with this. just so long as i get my pings on the case!

I have got larvae in there too so im hoping it can be saved!

I have had a lot of gnats in my bedroom, about 30 could be seen at any one time on my collection (4 neps, 4 dews at the time)
And haven't noticed any plants suffering under it.

Back