What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do not believe things, even if many agree

• Thread starter Timmy
  • Start date

Timmy

BANNED

Last edited:
There was never an original 'Dente' in circulation as such, just a number of plants with short teeth. They were variously given names such as 'Dentate' or 'Sharks Tooth Dentate' - whatever the grower fancied calling them.

A couple were registered by Barry Rice , but going by the description on the ICPS, they are the same plant.

Plants with numerous, jagged teeth are usually labelled "Sawtooth".

And to those who care I have started each in artificial propagation. And will be trading some when they get about 2 inches in diameter.

Feel free to discuss.

Why? Those names are all synonymous. It's the same plant, or different plants with the same characteristics.

VFT's aren't like other CP"s they can vary great even within a so called cultivar or clone of them, thats why you shouldn't rely on a certain set of descriptions, because not all will follow them.

Last edited:
Are you even reading the replies? Dente, Dentate Traps, and Dentate are the same cultivar that covers VFTs that fit the description (although only 'Dentate Traps' is an officially registered name)... If you check Dente and Dentate in the Carnivorous Plant Data Base you will find the following...

N: $[Dionaea ' Dentate ' {D'Amato}]
P: Savage Garden:66 (1998)
S: =[Dionaea muscipula {Soland. ex Ellis}]
B: ?P.D'Amato Nominant: P.D'Amato, 1998
HC: the established name for the same cultivar is [Dionaea ' Dentate Traps ' {B.Rice}]
Description: Savage Garden:66 (1998) "Both (this and [Dionaea ' Dente ' {D'Amato}]) are tissue-cultured mutations. The teeth are numerous, short and jagged, like a beartrap." Propagation: vegetative (tissue culture) Etymology: after dentate (not ciliate) margin of lamina image: Check Bob Ziemer's Photo Finder

N: $[Dionaea ' Dente ' {D'Amato}]
P: Savage Garden:66 (1998)
S: =[Dionaea muscipula {Soland. ex Ellis}]
B: ?P.D'Amato
Nominant: P.D'Amato, 1998
HC: the established name for the same cultivar is [Dionaea ' Dentate Traps ' {B.Rice}]
Description: Savage Garden:66 (1998) "Both (this and [Dionaea ' Dentate ' {D'Amato}]) are tissue-cultured mutations. The teeth are numerous, short and jagged, like a beartrap."

Note specifically the part that says
for both Dentate and Dente (meaning these names are not the established name for the cultivar)

Also note the part that says
Both (this and [Dionaea ' Dentate ' {D'Amato}]) are tissue-cultured mutations. The teeth are numerous, short and jagged, like a beartrap.
So really, any VFT that fits this description could be labeled as such... This is why you are seeing different plants, not because they are different cultivars, but simply different clones that match the description and so can carry the name. I have probably 10 different looking 'Dentate Traps' plants... but they all carry the official name 'Dentate Traps'.

Andrew

HiIdA.jpg

all I can say is that sometimes my dente or dentate or whatever plants make different traps randomly, like in the spring it made really short triangular teeth, and now it's making ranom semi-long teeth, and then it will probly go back to making short ones... but yeah, they're all still the same cutivar.

Devon, that's pretty odd. In the spring the traps should be long, and short in the summer

See...im in this hobby for the growing of the plants, not for the freaking names. why so much stress on what 'A' calls his plants and what 'B' calls his?

and btw Andrew the simple fact that he stated "feel free to discuss" lets me know that he knew this was going to cause people to start mini rants (kinda like this one), he doesnt care what people are saying in repsonse.i agree with SK's picture post...IGNORE.

and btw Andrew the simple fact that he stated "feel free to discuss" lets me know that he knew this was going to cause people to start mini rants (kinda like this one), he doesnt care what people are saying in repsonse.i agree with SK's picture post...IGNORE.

funny-pictures-cat-has-obvious-hat.jpg

Back