What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing VFT'S upside down...

i kind of think its a good idea to grow venus fly traps up side down becouse whene you put it outside the plant can colect rain water and sun light

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

the topsy turvey thing looks like a good idea becouse the plan can colect rain and sun

1bb22d83a5a6e7e51db43b116310113e_18427.jpg__thumb

This topic is as dead as your VFT will be if you try it.
~Joe

I saw that Topsy Turvy Tomato thing, and I'm doing it with a Dionaea. String tied around the holes of a three inch pot, filled with soil, and the plant with plastic wrap with holes in it over the "bottom" of the pot. I water it through the holes. The only obvious sign I see is red traps, which I have never had.

That's the blood rushing to their heads. :-))

All this "Topsy Turvy", grow things upside stuff is a novelty that should die faster than it is. It's just a money making scheme IMHO.

FWIW, we tried it because my daughter wanted to. The most piss poor yield of tomatoes I've ever seen. AND they never matured properly either. The white pine seedlings seem to like growing out the top of it though. Possible bonsai material in a few years, maybe, is the only reason it's still hanging.

This would work
WITH ALDROVANDA
LOL.

FWIW, we tried it because my daughter wanted to. The most piss poor yield of tomatoes I've ever seen. AND they never matured properly either. The white pine seedlings seem to like growing out the top of it though. Possible bonsai material in a few years, maybe, is the only reason it's still hanging.

My better halfs' mother had the same results with her topsy turvy tomatoes. Those things are a total gimmick. Roots don't grow up. You want huge tomatoes take a 5 gallon bucket, drill a hole in its side about 6 inches from the bottom, fill it with perlite to the hole then put your fav soil mix to the top. You will get HUGE tomatoes.

where do you put the tomatoe? in the hole or on top of the dirt?

I have often thought long and hard about growing different plants upside down.

A VFT, admittedly is probably one of the worst candidates for the experiment because they do appreciate especially strong sun, and their growth is not even remotely vertical.

However, I have thought of different methods for growing plants upside down, and although they are indeed completely unnatural, so is owning a Nepenthes in North America, so oh well, that's a totally bogus argument. Anyway, I've made a quick diagram to depict how I theorize upside down growing would be best accomplished. This is a cross-section of a pot for reference.

The plant would have to be entirely lighted by artificial means so that it isn't going against gravity by reaching for the Sun. Note how the inverse "slack potting" would essentially allow both the roots and the growth to use gravity to aid their downward growth.

The only added benefit that I would imagine would occur from growing any plant upside down would be that it would grow much faster downwards, although it would be weak, due to growing with gravity instead of against gravity. IDK, though.

Upsidedown.jpg

where do you put the tomatoe? in the hole or on top of the dirt?
Yep:). Just plant it like your putting it in regular potting soil and water until it runs from the hole.

I have often thought long and hard about growing different plants upside down.

A VFT, admittedly is probably one of the worst candidates for the experiment because they do appreciate especially strong sun, and their growth is not even remotely vertical.

However, I have thought of different methods for growing plants upside down, and although they are indeed completely unnatural, so is owning a Nepenthes in North America, so oh well, that's a totally bogus argument. Anyway, I've made a quick diagram to depict how I theorize upside down growing would be best accomplished. This is a cross-section of a pot for reference.

The plant would have to be entirely lighted by artificial means so that it isn't going against gravity by reaching for the Sun. Note how the inverse "slack potting" would essentially allow both the roots and the growth to use gravity to aid their downward growth.

The only added benefit that I would imagine would occur from growing any plant upside down would be that it would grow much faster downwards, although it would be weak, due to growing with gravity instead of against gravity. IDK, though.

Upsidedown.jpg

One question, how do you water it without getting electrocuted? And being that they're pretty much ever moist, how do you prevent constant dripping?

One question, how do you water it without getting electrocuted? And being that they're pretty much ever moist, how do you prevent constant dripping?

I think that you would avoid getting electrocuted by exercising a basic understanding of electrical currents and wiring. ???

Also the constant dripping would be solved by sealing off the portion of soil that is at the base of the vegetative growth.

Dex. I think your plant is too close to the light in the schematic. The top leaves appear to be bleaching. :)

Very nice and thoughtful way to build something like that Dex.

I think that you would avoid getting electrocuted by exercising a basic understanding of electrical currents and wiring. ???

Also the constant dripping would be solved by sealing off the portion of soil that is at the base of the vegetative growth.

Okay, maybe I'm missing something then, how exactly would you seal the plant to the soil? Silicone sleeve? For a guaranteed no drip situation? Just from working with aquariums for over 30 years, I can tell you that if the seal isn't perfect, water will seep, leak, and drip. You'd definitely need a barrier between the lamp and the plant to collect the drippage, or a 100% reliable GFCI. And, depending on how dirty that barrier gets, and how fast, you'd be a slave to keeping it clean to keep PAR optimal. Much easier to just grow 'em right side up.

Dex. I think your plant is too close to the light in the schematic. The top leaves appear to be bleaching. :)

Don't you mean "bottom?"

I have never thought of trying to grow VFT's upside-down, it just won't work. But from the side of a hanging basket... That might work.

:lol:
No, it's just that my super-awesome upside-down setup is so super-awesome that any plant that is grown that way immediately develop variegated genes. Really! You should give it a try. ;)

Okay, maybe I'm missing something then, how exactly would you seal the plant to the soil? Silicone sleeve? For a guaranteed no drip situation? Just from working with aquariums for over 30 years, I can tell you that if the seal isn't perfect, water will seep, leak, and drip. You'd definitely need a barrier between the lamp and the plant to collect the drippage, or a 100% reliable GFCI. And, depending on how dirty that barrier gets, and how fast, you'd be a slave to keeping it clean to keep PAR optimal. Much easier to just grow 'em right side up.

How bout this - I'll just do it someday and show you. :D

I don't know when, but someday.

I know a little off topic but I've seen D. intermedia growing upside down under a log. Also, D. rotundifolia on the sides of cliffs below seeps.

ReferenceandCPs052.jpg

ReferenceandCPs055.jpg

Back