What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing VFT'S upside down...

Timmy

BANNED
I saw that Topsy Turvy Tomato thing, and I'm doing it with a Dionaea. String tied around the holes of a three inch pot, filled with soil, and the plant with plastic wrap with holes in it over the "bottom" of the pot. I water it through the holes. The only obvious sign I see is red traps, which I have never had.

Venus Fly Traps don't grow upside down in nature

Neither do tomatoes or strawberries, but they seem to applaud that.

Last edited by a moderator:

they also dont grow in plastic green pots with perlite and a white name tag...
but i agree, its a good thought, but idk how a VFT would get direct sun hanging under one of those things

but i agree, its a good thought, but idk how a VFT would get direct sun hanging under one of those things

Maybe more like one of the newer ones where the plants are on the side rather than the bottom. Would still be less light than being in a normal pot but more than being out the bottom.

maybe with a big mirror underneath it.

I thought those were for people who found it too "time consuming" or "difficult" to stake their tomatoes, not because it was preferable. I can see the leaves growing horizontally maybe to try to get more light. Any particular reason why?

Neither do tomatoes or strawberries, but they seem to applaud that.

Tomatoes and strawberries are scrambling plants that can often be found growing on sharp inclines. They also benefit from inversion due to being a fruit crop, both with particularly fleshy berries - hanging with the root zone above the stem allows gravity to assist hydration. VFTs are not grown for fruit, nor do they produce a stem, so I'm dubious of how much of a difference this could make. However, I think they would appreciate the greater moisture availability and soil temperatures that these things provide, so who knows...
~Joe

Would Like To See A pic...

Tomatoes and strawberries are scrambling plants that can often be found growing on sharp inclines. They also benefit from inversion due to being a fruit crop, both with particularly fleshy berries - hanging with the root zone above the stem allows gravity to assist hydration. VFTs are not grown for fruit, nor do they produce a stem, so I'm dubious of how much of a difference this could make. However, I think they would appreciate the greater moisture availability and soil temperatures that these things provide, so who knows...
~Joe

If it says "Edited by Xvart" under my post, it means that isn't exactly what I said. :-))

The only people who are going to grow VFTs upside down are fools in my opinion.

1. How is the plant supposed to catch anything like that? For all I know, flies will NEVER go into an upside down VFT trap. Why should they? Its supposed to be a landing pad for the critters. It works well in that role also! Once two flies, in the process of mating, flew by me. One landed on a large VFT trap. The other, close behind, landed there too. Both were toast. And I saw it happen! That was the coolest part. It may catch an occasional crawler, but the majority of the prey will probably escape by falling out of the jaws, or not even notice the trap.
  2. As was already pointed out, how are the plants going to get much light?
  3. How are you going to enjoy them? Personally, I don't want to stare at the bottom of a pot; nor do I want to lay on my back and get peat on my face when I try to take a nice look at my plant. And just flipping the plant over won't work. It won't be rigid or sturdy because it hasn't been growing against gravity.
  4. This is COMPLETELY unnatural, as was already mentioned.
  5. And, it is a waste of time. You can't water them with the tray system anymore! :-))

i see lots of bugs sitting at the underside of leaves outside, most of them flying bugs.

The dudes banned anyway so we cant see our photo's

If it says "Edited by Xvart" under my post, it means that isn't exactly what I said. :-))

The only thing edited out was unrelated to the topic at hand (i.e. commentary about the original poster).

xvart.

I wonder what the benefits of growing upside down would be for VFTs... :scratch:

Xvart deleted the unrelated part.. but that is an exact quote of what you said... aaaaand now I see he already replied and said that haha :-))

Xvart deleted the unrelated part.. but that is an exact quote of what you said... aaaaand now I see he already replied and said that haha :-))

It's okay, you only had the window opened for 45 minutes without refreshing... :-))

Maybe grow neps in one of those things? Sort of hanging basket like......

Won't the roots eventually curl downwards and the whole plant fall out onto the floor?

Won't the roots eventually curl downwards and the whole plant fall out onto the floor?

Yeah, roots grow with the pull of gravity and shoots grow against it. Since venus flytraps don't really vine or need support to grow this sort of pot would be useless in my opinion.

Back