What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Before and After

Here is what my pot of Bigmouth VFT looked like before division. They aren't very red because they were in a location that got less sun and they were clumped so tightly they struggled to get enough light, which is why I repotted. I counted 61, yes 61 total plants when I repotted, I sent about 25 of them away in trades and still have a ton left lol.
Before, 8" pot
P1080696.JPG

After, 12" pot
P1080709.JPG

After, also had 2 4" pots that I filled with little baby plants, so cute!
P1080710.JPG

Pretty cool. So how did you end up with so many to being with? Did those all come from one plant?

Nice. I hope I get an explosion of vft's soon too :-D

Pretty cool. So how did you end up with so many to being with? Did those all come from one plant?

In 2008 I had a pot with just 3 bigmouth vft in it, the rest had died either from rot during dormancy (kept too wet) or died during the summer as it got hot and I accidentally forgot to water them. This one pot survived, they were the strongest. Here is a picture of them. Originally their were just 3 in here, but as you can see here they had already begun to clump some.

P1070857.JPG

Well the winter of 2008, these vft did something I'd never seen before, they clumped like they were in tissue culture. It was weird, it's like the main bulb split into like 10 tiny little plants, and each plant did that. Come spring of 2009, I repotted them into a big 8" pot. So from 3 plants, came 60+ in less than 2 years time. I didn't do any leaf pullings, didn't let them flower, they just clumped all on their own. I find every winter they do this as they head into dormancy, the main bulb sends tons of little offshoots on it and before you know it they fill the pot up! When they fill this 12" pot up it will be a sight to behold!

Here is the key to growing them, at least for me. I found through trial and error, that they grow best when kept moist but not soggy. In the summer, I kept just about a half inch of water in the tray, each day. By the end of the day the heat and sun has dried it up and evaporated it, so that the soil is just moist. What this does, is encourages root development. I learned this technique from the guy that sent me these plants, his name is Steve (xscd is his forum ID). This technique has resulted in a vigorous growth, as well as extensive root systems. I've ordered vft before and gotten them with roots around 3-5" long, but when I repotted mine I measured the roots on some over 9"!! The bulb was the same size, but had a more extensive root system and thus the plant is healthier. Bigmouth VFT are very hardy IMO. Come next spring, I will likely be trading, or maybe even giving away about 30 more.

Wow... the guppys of the CP world!

Back