What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

vft en masse

No where near as colorful as last year. May have someting to do with my letting them flower this time around.
I dunno ???

Last year the traps were a deep crimson red:
B52B0909.jpg

Today:
my_conner_b52s.jpg

full size image

big ol' traps though :)

Cheers'
Av

Wowww, lookit those!!!
Quite phenomenal, Butch! And I thought I found a trap on my VFT to be proud of :lol:

I have noticed from year to year different intensities of red in the traps of different VFT's I grow.
All my 'Big Mouths' which last year had great color, have a dull color like your B52's this year.

Ya kinda wonder about how long cultivars / strains hold up with advertized distinguishing features, over time.

It's hard to know for sure... could be where I let them flower this year, environmental variances, progressive leaching of nutrients from the substrate, the increase in vegetative mass, increases in root mass, or a combination of any or all of the above etc etc

while not at colorful, the trap size has increased

Looking good butch. I didn't let any of my B52s flower this year and they are a spitting image of yours. This year has brought some unusual things in terms of growth for many growers so this seems par weirdly enough.

Yeah like my vft with 15+ trigger hairs, really weird year. Even my bigmouth vft haven't turned a deep crimson red color so far, not sure why?

Very nice pot of B52s Butch! Do you know if the two comparison photos were taken at the same time of year? I've noticed that later in the year the traps typically get better coloration. But as you say, there are a myriad of factors that have some control over trap coloration. My business partner Steve is growing two pots of B52s in different media; one in coir (coconut husk peat) and one in sphagnum peat. The ones in sphagnum peat look like yours from this year with very little trap coloration. But the ones in coir look deep red like the ones in your photo from last year. I think that coir has more potassium in it than peat and I know that the pH is slightly higher too. So perhaps those two factors also have something to do with coloration.

As best I remember, the top photo was taken in late september... so a significant difference. If they do darken come fall I'll post an update :)

Back