What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help finding Sphagnum peat moss for bog garden

I have tried looking around at local nurseries, but all I have some up with are miracle-gro and this other type made to help absorb water better, none of which i believe are suitable for cp's, no? I have gone online and found Premier brand Sphagnum peat moss and was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is ok, or if not another good site online with good sphagnum peat moss. I live in california, so preferably some place in the U.S.

Last edited:
The "other" stuff should be ok as long as it is 100% Sphagnum peat moss. The packaging on peat moss almost all claim to help absorb and retain water. Useful in these times of drought.

If you're in California Lowes normally carries the 2.2 cubic foot bales of Premier brand Canadian peat moss. OSH carries 3.3 cubic foot compressed (7 cubic feet uncompressed) bales (OSH Brand, Canadian) and now they are carrying 1 cubic foot bags of Black Gold brand peat moss. Black Gold is some of the best quality stuff you can get in the US.

My local nursery carries UniGro brand - appears to be a California based distributor/supplier which is what OSH used to carry before switching to Black Gold.

the other stuff is indeed black gold canadian peat moss. what made me question whether it was good or not was the "plus" on the package as well as the fact that they added a wetting agent(Yucca extract) to it. So this is still fine?

Go to the big box (Home Depot, Lowes, etc) or a larger garden center, but dont look with the houseplant soils,you will only find the small bags of peat there, usually the Miracle grow brand with fertilizer added.

instead you want to go to the big outdoor nursery section, where they have the bricks and stones and BIG bags of stuff..there you should find the large bales of pure peat, bales sitting on pallets, like this:

http://canadianpeatmoss.com/images/520_peat22.jpg

its sold as a soil additive, for garden soil improvement.
yeah, its a lot of moss! ;)
but its the cheapest way to buy it, in the long run..
if you have a small collection, consider it a lifetime supply! ;)

Scot

Back