What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dionaea muscipula 'Trichterfalle' - an odd flytrap clone

mmlr38, Put me down for one! I am new here, so excuse my ignorance, but how would we be able to buy one of those from you in the future? Also, would it be possible to post pics of those cultivars you spoke of above? I have never heard of them or are able to find them online.
Thanks!

Ok, this is seriously an amazingly freakish plant...even for cps...I love it :)

Not a plant person so I wonder since I've never played around with making mutants in plants...The use of phytohormones in mutagenesis, that is a stable effect in the cultivar? I'm assuming yes and not just some wacky thing like what people see in tissue cultured plants but which they lose after a while? Just was wondering what the mode of action phytohormones have in DNA alteration. Going to google now but thought maybe someone here would know details...

Last edited:
I wish I owned this plant..so I could destroy it.
and never allow it weaken the gene pool.
but it seems its too late for that. :(

(yes I know..if its only vegetatively propagated then its not a big deal..but you know someone will try to let it flower and cross pollinate it with other VFT's)

I really hate these kinds of VFT's..what a travesty.
worse than the parrot cichlid.

Scot

I must agree with scot... I just can't admire something like that.

Ya all toothy neps should be smashed and used a cricket gut load too since they are odd looking and obviouslynot harming the wild population

Ya all toothy neps should be smashed and used a cricket gut load too since they are odd looking and obviouslynot harming the wild population

How is that anything like these TC mutants? You don't see VFT's like that in the wild, and toothy neps occur naturally... they were not the result of cloning.

ya but tc mutants arent being released into the wild so who cares what they look like

You don't see VFT's like that in the wild
Have you personally inspected every flytrap that's growing in the wild to ensure that it doesn't have these odd sorts of traps? ;)

Trictherfalle isn't really a "genetically weak" flytrap like you all are suggesting. It grows quite vigorously and with normal traps that are very good at catching bugs for most of the growing season. It usually only gets these weird traps in the fall.

And the argument about "weakening the gene pool" doesn't make much sense. It's not even known whether the trait to make the odd-looking traps is dominant or recessive. And assuming it is dominant, most growers don't live in an area where their plants will be cross pollinated with any wild-growing plants and I can't see any reason to fret about this plant's genes being part of a seed mix in cultivation. But I think all of that is irrelevant anyway because even if Trichterfalle were to be introduced into the wild, it wouldn't pose a threat because it's a vigorous growing flytrap that would likely do well in the wild and add genetic variability to the wild population of flytraps. And genetic variability is very important in nature in order to provide species with the ability to adapt and evolve.

Have you personally inspected every flytrap that's growing in the wild to ensure that it doesn't have these odd sorts of traps? ;)

Trictherfalle isn't really a "genetically weak" flytrap like you all are suggesting. It grows quite vigorously and with normal traps that are very good at catching bugs for most of the growing season. It usually only gets these weird traps in the fall.

And the argument about "weakening the gene pool" doesn't make much sense. It's not even known whether the trait to make the odd-looking traps is dominant or recessive. And assuming it is dominant, most growers don't live in an area where their plants will be cross pollinated with any wild-growing plants and I can't see any reason to fret about this plant's genes being part of a seed mix in cultivation. But I think all of that is irrelevant anyway because even if Trichterfalle were to be introduced into the wild, it wouldn't pose a threat because it's a vigorous growing flytrap that would likely do well in the wild and add genetic variability to the wild population of flytraps. And genetic variability is very important in nature in order to provide species with the ability to adapt and evolve.

+1

If you don't like it, don't comment, very simple? :3

Ya i totally agree.. Its not like there are no insane clones out there. i bet there r se some with much crazier mutations liek triple heads or something. there are thousands and in the wild biodiversity reigns. Unless you looked through them all you wouldnt know.

Also, on the gene pool thing, it isnt like people are dropping ollen from a hot air balloon over the carolinas during flowerin season. Also, if a plant isnt virused or otherwise infected, and it is weak, and it does make it into the wild,e volution suggests that it would die off.

Valid points! I'm not arguing about variability in the wild, and I was wrong to say you may not find something like that in the wild.

Deja vu. I remember a very similar conversation about "abomination mutants" involving fitness of the species through human cultivars/breeds with ScottyChaos and Pyro on here before...goes hunts

+1

If you don't like it, don't comment, very simple? :3

that is such a pointless comment..yet people feel the need to say it all the time..
but think about it..
if you dont like my comment, you dont have to comment on it either!
but you did..which makes your statement contradictory, and totally hypocritical! ;)

Scot

Back