What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dionaea muscipula 'Trichterfalle' - an odd flytrap clone

I'm really liking this plant. I've only been growing it since September 2009 and when I received it from Bob Ziemer, it was very small. But it grew quite a bit over the winter and has done very well this growing season. Here are a few photos for those of you that haven't seen it or for those of you that just like looking at photos :)
03eb436ee3066a73a4492848.jpg

c0ca7672de1868a12109226c.jpg

A couple of closeups of the "scaling" (I think that's what most people call it) on the leaves.
e7bc60a906d261c850ac82bb.jpg

be260757a6ed48f36e127307.jpg

The weird traps, which are fused on the proximal end, are only present later in the summer and fall. In the spring, the traps are fairly normal in appearance. A closeup of the odd traps:
10e23b1bad67598ae6b6ab23.jpg

Looks like gene splicing gone horribly wrong......not bad. ;)

"K...K...K......Kill...me..."

That looks AWESOME! Is it any good at catching flies?

Looks like gene splicing gone horribly wrong......not bad. ;)
Thanks!
"K...K...K......Kill...me..."

That looks AWESOME! Is it any good at catching flies?
The normal traps catch prey fine. I've not seen the weird traps catch anything nor have I tried feeding them.

o_O
....I need this freak in my collection.

You're obviously doing a great job growing it!! :D

That is absolute BIZARRE. But not entirely bad looking. It's almost as if those "scales" are the first step towards flytraps forming drosera-like tentacles. (in my dreams)

o_O
....I need this freak in my collection.

You're obviously doing a great job growing it!! :D
Thanks! And about adding it to your collection, I got it started in tissue culture this year. I have at least several hundred of them now in jars that will need to be potted out and should be available for distribution to many growers next growing season at some point. So, if you'd really like to, you should be able to get your hands on one.
That is absolute BIZARRE. But not entirely bad looking. It's almost as if those "scales" are the first step towards flytraps forming drosera-like tentacles. (in my dreams)
It's true. The scales are a very interesting mutation. It makes me wonder if it is a throwback to the days when flytraps were transitioning from sticky tentacles to a more sophisticated trapping mechanism.

It's Alive!
victor-frankenstein.jpg

Why it's an abhorrence against nature! But look! He likes it!
Marty_Feldman.jpg

And what nice green complection... Mmmmm... "green"!
frankenstein_2.jpg

GREEN! Hey, that gives me an idea!... if we could just make him dance!
090325_mon_frankenstein.jpg

Oh yea, Lookie here!... He's dancing!
Now Someone will find that entertaining! :-))
"Hey, get your tickets here!...

er, I mean "Tickets available for distribution to many...!"
:glare:

From my understanding this clone was created by use of phytohormone treatment.

The "scaling" appears similar to the structures you can find on the so-called "Crested Petiole" plants. I doubt it is any evolutionary throwback to a Drosera ancestor as structurally the trigger hairs are practically the same as "snap tentacles" and red glands lining the trap are almost structurally equivalent to the tentacle glands - just no tentacle or mucus production. If the plant was reqressing you would expect tentacle development on the traps not the petiole or leaf base.

I can't think of one example of Drosera that has tirchomes (tentacles) on the petiole.

The structures look more like plantlet buds to me. That wouldn't surprise me since the plant was tweaked out on hormones.

The "scaling" appears similar to the structures you can find on the so-called "Crested Petiole" plants.
What "Crested Petiole" plants are you referring to? The "Crested Petioles" flytrap clone that I grow doesn't get this scaling characteristic.
I doubt it is any evolutionary throwback to a Drosera ancestor as structurally the trigger hairs are practically the same as "snap tentacles" and red glands lining the trap are almost structurally equivalent to the tentacle glands - just no tentacle or mucus production. If the plant was reqressing you would expect tentacle development on the traps not the petiole or leaf base.
Very good points NaN.
I can't think of one example of Drosera that has tirchomes (tentacles) on the petiole.
Doesn't D. regia have tirchomes on the petiole?

Thanks! And about adding it to your collection, I got it started in tissue culture this year. I have at least several hundred of them now in jars that will need to be potted out and should be available for distribution to many growers next growing season at some point. So, if you'd really like to, you should be able to get your hands on one.

Please add me to the "gotta have it" list. This is the one VFT I haven't ever seen for sale. Well, ok, one of two: half 'n half white variegated.

Weird! I've never seen this on my Crested Petioles plant, but it's still quite young. Maybe it will happen next year!
Technically the petiole is fused with the lamina on D. regia but there is still a region devoid of trichomes.
Ah, I see. That makes sense.
Please add me to the "gotta have it" list. This is the one VFT I haven't ever seen for sale. Well, ok, one of two: half 'n half white variegated.
I've been focusing on starting plants in TC that aren't widely available in the United States. We should have some nice, but very hard to find, clones to offer to hard-core Dionaea collectors next year including this one (Trichterfalle), Wacky Traps, A2 (mother plant of B52), Fuzzy Tooth, Holland Red, Spider, Creeping Death and others.

I'd be curious to take a leaf cutting or pulling of one with "scales" on it and see if they develop into plantlets.

My "Crested Petioles" had very slight traces last year but this year they never really came out of dormancy and appear to have wasted away. I blame it on the odd weather this year. Most of my outdoor plants started later than usual or started out normally and just stalled.

Interesting mutation in a number of ways - especially that the odd traps don't really show themselves until late in the season. 'Fused tooth' traps become more fused as the season progresses but I don't think that the change is this dramatic.

What "Crested Petiole" plants are you referring to? The "Crested Petioles" flytrap clone that I grow doesn't get this scaling characteristic.
Here's a pic of mine showing the 'scaling':
10VFTcrestedpetioleRS.jpg

I'd be curious to take a leaf cutting or pulling of one with "scales" on it and see if they develop into plantlets.
Yeah, that would be an interesting experiment. Though, just about any part of a Venus fly trap can turn into plantlets. I guess if it happened quicker on that section it would be indicative of something.

From my understanding this clone was created by use of phytohormone treatment.
Been thinking about this NaN. I usually try to do some history and research on the origins of clones and write it up. Where did you gain this knowledge of the plant? Do you know where it originated and who might be the first official grower of the plant?

Thanks for the link NaN!

Back