What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aphids are crawling best way to kill them while it's still cold

Hi

All I have a small problem with aphids at the moment, I have read about drowning them, and Ortho Rose Pride but I am not sure it I can get that in the UK.

All advice well, since it's not summer and though the temp is low at 5 is it still wise to leave them in water over night or 2.

Any advise welcome.

Noddy

Im willing to bet you can find diatomaceous earth at a local garden, or even hardware, store. I have never tried that, but it hear its a good chemical-free way to get rid of aphids and other crawling insect pests.

There is also always neem oil...

I read that a product called Provado comes highly recommended in the UK.

They are in their egg laying stage so you have to content with eggs too. That's how they survive the winter.

Hi everyone

I bought this today, rather than the spray can version as it's flamable... which mean's not good stuff inside for VFT...

DSCF1028.jpg

I hope this will do the trick, does anyone know how long the bug's & eggs take to die...

I am a little concerned as I don't wish to loose my collection... So how long before I ould notice issues with plant and should I wash the plant after? spraying. Also do I use the same strength as on the bottle...

Many thanks Noddy

Hi all it's now been a couple of weeks since I used Provado as means to kill green fly...

I use a solution of 15ml to one litre of rain water...

The results are as follows: The Green Fly are those little grey fluff balls...

DeadGreenFly3.jpg

DeadGreenFly2.jpg

DeadGreenFly1.jpg

So I'll keep you posted on how the plant does...

I am just not sure if I should repot later on or leave as is...

Noddy

Yes, use the recommended concentration from the label. Provado is Imidacloprid which is a nicotine derived systemic insecticide that is generally safe to use on almost all carnivorous plants. See the label for specific pests it is effective on. It should work on aphids.

I'm guessing the fuzz is fungus or mold growing on the dead bodies of the pest? I would remove the dead bodies if they get moldy like that.

Yes Not a Number

May I ask is it wise to repot, or is it not required...

Since I have to admit I was a little worried as I have paid out a lot for some cultivars and I was concerned a little...

But I wanted to post the dead green flys as proof so those that may not be so confident in doing so, may proceed.

I am glad of any advice

Noddy

Repotting is pretty much entirely up to you. Factors to consider - size of the pots vs the size/maturity of the plants. How old is the media? Flytraps do better in more acidic conditions than Sarracenia and many Drosera. As peat moss ages it starts to break down and gets less acidic. If the media is 2+ years in the pot I would replace it.

You might want to pull out the grass or whatever that is that is growing in the pot as the roots can cause problems in time. The moss can be pesky too. Repotting might get rid of the moss temporarily but most likely there will be enough propogules transferred along with the flytraps for it to re-establish.

Aphids are fortunately one of the easier bugs to control..
they dont live on or in the soil, they only live on the leaves, so just drown the plant for a few days!
completely submerge it underwater, for 48 hours or so..it will do no harm to the plant, and it will kill the aphids..you can also manually remove the bugs from the leaves when its submerged, they will float to the surface, and you can scoop them away..

Some eggs will likely survive the dunking however, so you might have to repeat the submerging..
but overall aphids are about the easiest bug to control..sometimes just wiping all the visable bugs off with a damp paper towel is good enough! I dont fear aphids at all..

scale on the other hand...
I have had to actually throw away a rfew houseplants because of scale..I have to bring out the strong stuff (sevin, or other heavy pesticides)..then sometimes the scale seems to be gone, for a year or more! then it comes back!! I have simply thrown away some very nice houseplants, such as:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murraya_paniculata
because I simply cant defeat the scale! :(
but aphids..no problem! :)

Scot

Can you just drown aphids then? Wish I'd known that a few weeks ago! Saw a healthy S. purpurea var. venosa massively reduced because it had aphids, only 75p! Didn't touch it because I didn't want aphids to spread to other plants, but if I had known then...! :/

Thanks for the info though... very useful!

I wanted there eggs to die also...

I think I need a nice green house... to prevent those types of things going on...

Noddy

Back