What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT 'Dente' tc

Sterilization..
Used syringe.

about 4 minutes of bleach.

rinse in warm (it didnt cool in time >.<) sterile autoclaved water. I had stuck my fingers in it to test it so i hope i didnt germ it up.. i had already sprayed 70% isopropyl alcohol on them a few times and they wee in the clean tank. Shook for about 3 minutes. Then squirted the water out and sucked up some more sterile water from another jar that i also had to touch to feel. Was also warm. Neither jar was burning though and i could keep my fingers in them forever. Did about another 3 minutes while shakink here and there. Then i put it on a plate with a thin layer of 10% bleach to cut thabout 1/2" of the side with the wound on it off. Then i rinsed in a new jar of warm autoclaved water for about 20 seconds and then used tweezers that were previously sitting in the alcohol and then shaken and dipped into the newest jar with the explant to place the explant on the media.

Media is 1/3MS with Kinetin and PPM.

It is sealed up now with saran wrap.
The trap part that is still folded got slightly darker during the bleaching i suppose, but it isnt black and it isnt where i cut the plant so i didnt chop it off. the explant is about 3/4" right now in the jar. Should it work???

If not what did i do wrong....

tc.jpg

tc2.jpg

Awesome...hopefully it is successful.

i tried tc'ing a vft once...maybe it failed because i used the wrong part of the leaf? i used the developing trap portion. great technique---the tissue never was contaminated by fungi or anything like that---but, unfortunately the tissue never took---it ended up turning black and that was it....

Good luck! I just transferred some typical flytraps because they outgrew their tubes. Very easy species in TC once it gets established.

THANKS! This is it today...
tissueculturesecondday.jpg

tissueculturesecondday2.jpg

Is the light brown phenolic bleeding? Also in the second pic, that bright white circle is the saranwrap-free part of the lid not a glob of bacteria.

Question. I have some media in a jar in a ziplock that i sprayed inside with alcohol in my fridge. Should I reautoclave it before i use it even if its contamination free.

Back