What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Venus flytraps

Last summer I made a 7 by 2 feet bog that is now starting to come back from dormancy. However, the soil is starting to compact more and now the soil line is smaller. Is a layer of sand beneficial for venus flytraps? My thought is that I could put a layer of sand because the venus flytraps are starting to almost come up out of the bog. By the way I live in Oregon.

In their native habitat, Venus fly traps grow in very sandy soil. The type of sand is silica sand, also known as silicone dioxide or quartz. Provided that you use that type of sand, it certainly won't hurt the plants. For photos of Venus fly traps in their native habitat see the photos in this thread:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/north-carolina-trip-photos-t8409.html

But I'm not sure I understand what you're attempting to do. Are you planning on pouring it on top of the bog to raise the soil level? Won't that bury the plants in the process?

By the way, I live in Oregon too :)

Yeh I was planning on puttiing a nice looking layer of sand around the plants so that It would indeed raise the soil level. Wow another Oregon grower! :)

That may work. I know that Venus fly traps can grow up or down in the soil a bit. Adding sand to the top of the soil might do the trick to raise the soil level.

im in oregon too :D

btw i wouldnt add sand on top of anything just to raise the soil line a bit. even if you just put it around the plants; with how much it rains here the sand would probably wind up covering your plants anyways. i would wait until theyre actively growing and do a little at a time

Back