Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Media for Leaf pullings...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if Noddy's still reading or not, but I did want to follow up on my earlier post... With Presto's kind advice, I took the plunge about a month ago with her plain-distilled-water method...

So, I split up a flytrap at the end of April. They're growing under a fluorescent desk lamp with a CFT daylight bulb, 14 hrs/day. Here are some pictures...

(Note: I've circled certain plant segments in black so that you can follow their progress a bit more easily.)

April 20.

May 7.

May 25.

Here's a zoomed in shot of the lower circled plant segment...

Not unexpectedly, those segments that still had roots attached seem to be the farthest along (not having to grow roots from nothing but undifferentiated rhizome tissue.)

The upper, larger circled segment was the core/center of what was the original plant after I had removed the leaves. It just continued growing as if little had happened.

The lower, smaller circled segment has grown one (two?) plantlet(s) from the base of the remaining rhizome.

No root growth yet on the non-rooted leaves, but I remain optimistic...

Thanks again to Presto for the great article and the continued advice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick update... Having pretty good success with the leaves I started in distilled water...

So, this is a little over four months since I started the leaves in water... Added LFS a little at a time about a month ago... Somebody more experienced would likely have had better results, but hey, I'm glad enough to have the progress that I do...

And by the way, I'm reasonably certain that one of the plantlets has a flower stalk coming up...??

If memory serves, I'm not the first to have had this happen (I recall that somebody else posted a similar pic a few months back?) but at least we know it's reproducible...

Here's a shot of a different clone that I started propagating about a month after I started the other pullings... I had a few setbacks with these leaves, but I count at least eight plantlets progressing so far... Not bad for a beginner...

(The stalk cuttings in the pics were added to the bowls earlier today. One is from a dentate trap, the other three are from a cupped trap...)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12