What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New cultivar! Dionaea 'Laserus'!!!

Yep! I've been working on this for a long time, but I finally got the results I wanted and managed to get it registered. For obvious reasons, I've kept it under wraps... until now! Check this baby out! Make sure you put your safety glasses on first!

Wait, what? It's not April yet? Awwwww...

No, I recently got a green laser pointer for use with astronomy, figured I'd put it to use with the plants somehow. But, you know I got you! Aw, common, you know I had you there! For just a second! Right? Right?! Bah, you're no fun.

OMG a large gelatinous monster heading for your VFT!!! :spazz:

Thats pretty cool...

Careful where you aim that thing, you don't want a plane crash landing in your yard.

If each trap comes with a green laser pointer, then I'll take twenty! :awesome:

@lime: LOL! It's soooo deeewwwwyyyyyyyy!

@carnivoure12: Yeah, or a huge fine and time in prison. It's crazy illegal to shine it at planes. I did fairly extensive research on the laws around them before buying one - just enough to (hopefully) keep me out of jail!

@Clue: Right?! I'll get to tissue culturing it ASAP.

Pretty cool photos!

Lol...def fooled me:).

That is an abomination. The light would surely blind bugs and make them unable to enter the traps. It is a weak clone and should be destroyed :-))

JP Cool Pics.. Ill take some with my green and blue with my plants sometime. I have been wanting to just to lazy lol

Or the light draws in moths for nocturnal hunting...... :lol:

Clue said:
Or the light draws in moths for nocturnal hunting......

The flytraps couldn't compete with the drosera in the mini-bogs so they evolved to have this new edge. ^^

Yes, it is actually believed that the laser is no mere laser, after all. No, no. It appears to have some sort of "tractor beam" effect, ensnaring insects and pulling them into the trap.

And we all thought Utricularia had the most advanced traps of the carnivores! Ha!

You should give it some highly unstable growth hormones:-D

I can see it now, a giant vft running like an animal, snapping and firing laserbeams and intruders and such :-O
Forget about guard dogs :jester:

I want a VFT with a frickin' lazerbeam attached to it's head! :awesome:

sweet lazor! I have a couple of green ones myself, they're quite fun!

I also took a pic of my laser aiming at a pitcher on my vent, and it glowed. :awesome: lolz

Niceeee. How powerful is the laser? :D

Where'd you get a green laser like that anyway? Looks awesome.

I'd say I wanted a blue laser, but I certainly would NOT want it to toast my plants if I decided it would create a nice photo op:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PbWGjPByXKk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have a 125mW green (ssupposedly but i think it is a bit weaker) and a Spyder III Arctic 1W Laser
If you are interested in buying one, you can use this link to get a discount through me and help me get smome store credit as well :) http://www.wickedlasers.com/index.php?refer=34654

Got it on Amazon for like $30 shipped. And it's a 50mw, so it claims, but it's not actually that powerful. Still a good deal. ;p

As long as you can see a beam, then it was worth it. :awesome: I think any green lasers 50mW or above are pretty sweet. I would really enjoy getting a 1000mW 445nm laser 'cause they're cheap and very powerful! There are also $10 10mW violet lasers on ebay that have great reviews... I would like one of those too, lol.

Back