What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

vtf bog

i have my vtf in a bog right now with serracenia in my terrarium it is doing well but not catching any food and that same problem is with my serracenia so can i feed all of them the same food or can i only feed my vtf flies so they dont escape:poke::banana2:

Take them out of the terrarium, put them outside, and they will catch plenty of their own food.
VFTs and Sarracenia should not be grown in terrariums..its very bad for them.

Scot

but scotty then why is my s minor doing so well and also why was my s purpurea doing so well when it was in there

scotty i have had them there for about two months and they seem very happy in there

In the long term it may not be good. Most Sarracenia get quite tall so that's a reason. Also they don't need all that humidity. It's just wasting space.

You can replicate summer months in a terrarium, but how are you going to replicate winter? Terrariums are used to raise humidity, but sarracenia and VTFs can all grow in lower humidity. Growing something in a terrarium that doesn't need to be grown in one just makes you do more work for nothing and instead of benefitting you get alot of negative problems like fungis.

Look at some of the images from other people on this site(scotty has a link in his siggy to make it easier for you), they grow their plants outside and they are beautiful. I'm interested in seeing some of your pictures to compare.

scotty i have had them there for about two months and they seem very happy in there

Question: but scotty then why is my s minor doing so well and also why was my s purpurea doing so well when it was in there

Answer: because they haven't been in there long enough to start looking bad yet! ;)
but they will..(start looking bad)..soon enough.

Two months is nothing..but a year from now, if you leave them there, they will be looking very bad..you need to get them out of the terrarium, get them outside..

Scot

Outside is just as decent as under a t5 fixture. If you climate isn't right then you can grow indoors...

Outside is just as decent as under a t5 fixture. If you climate isn't right then you can grow indoors...

umm..no, sorry, but you dont know what you are talking about..
its much more than just light alone.

explain to me how you simulate the gradual temperature and light variations of January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, and December of the South-East USA indoors under grow lights..

Scot

You can't but they will grow just fine. Just adjust to dormancy. I put mine outside for summer but in a garage in winter with a T5 fixture.

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

I DO INDEED know what I'm talking about.

They'll do better outside in the summer, and winter if they're monitored in more northern climates. I have mine in a terrarium for two months as a temporary thing until I could find a good place for outdoor growth. They did much better once they were outside. They'll also develop better color outside. Mine lost all of their reds when in the terrarium.

also i have a cuptrap and afew leaves are wilting but they aren't dry are they to wet

my cuptrap died wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

i am saddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Ah! The Rapture got it.

Put them outside i mean it. Are your VFT looking red in the traps? Well probably no then to solve that PUT THEM OUTSIDE! ;)

The only reason any of the temperate plants (Sarracenia, temperate Drosera, and Dionaea) should be grown in a terrarium is if they are sick and being quarantined. I had an S. minor that was in very bad shape (poor thing) so I popped it into my terrarium for the remaining months of winter until summer so I could keep a close eye on it, treat it for fungus, and stuff like that.

My university has a CP bog in its greenhouse with no seasonal change in temperature and very high humidity. The plants are in shambles. More and more die off each month.

Back