What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

60 day old seedlings flowering!!

I know I saw another post in the last 6 months or so about a seedling flytrap flowering but this is pretty crazy. These ‘Big Mouth’ seedlings are only 60 days old are there are about 15 – 20 of them flowering already. I have about 300 seedlings in these photos so it is a small percentage (about ½%) but it still seems very odd. Maybe it’s the fertilizer :-O
1004276800x601.jpg

1004277800x601.jpg

1004278800x601.jpg

1004280800x601.jpg

Here are the parents - gearing up for another round!
1004252800x601.jpg

I'm about to try growing some seedlings and after seeing this wondered if you could tell me/had a thread of how you grow yours from seeds? I've read a lot of sites but would just like to get it right from an actual person who is doing it.

How the hell is that possible?! My babies will be a year old in July. That's unreal! Or is it typical for flytraps?

Very cool Fred!
How the hell is that possible?! My babies will be a year old in July. That's unreal! Or is it typical for flytraps?
It's definitely not typical for flytraps. I've germinated perhaps several thousand seeds now in vitro and in vivo. Every once in a while you'll get one that blooms early. The only time I've seen a group of them bloom like that is when I allowed a small one to go to seed and then I germinated all of the seed. All of the offspring bloomed within 3 months of germinating.

But perhaps it's the growing conditions in this case that have prompted the seedlings to bloom? I've noticed that if flytraps are kept warm for a while, then exposed to cooler temperatures for a bit and then warm again, they'll flower.

And I'd guess that the fertilizing almost certainly played a role in the flowering too.

Very Cool!

Very interesting Fred!
I'd be interested in seed from them!
I have a Sarr "seedling" blooming extremely early in life,
but certainly with more than 60 days of growth!
Good luck with these!
:water:

I'm about to try growing some seedlings and after seeing this wondered if you could tell me/had a thread of how you grow yours from seeds?

VFT seeds are pretty easy. Just sow them on top of your media and keep them covered. Put under lights at about 80 degrees F with about an 18 hour photo period and they'll sprout in a few weeks.

OMG so pretty! :drool:

Wow... I didn't know a big pot full of cute little vfts could be so awesome :love:

Going to post up pics of that S.flava ornata sometime soon?

But perhaps it's the growing conditions in this case that have prompted the seedlings to bloom? I've noticed that if flytraps are kept warm for a while, then exposed to cooler temperatures for a bit and then warm again, they'll flower.

You know it has been very cool at night the last few weeks and my lights turn off after 18 hours so there could be something to that.

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

Very interesting Fred!
I'd be interested in seed from them!

I'm not going to let them continue to flower to the point of getting seed besides I just don't think it would work (too immature) they would probably just kick the bucket. I don't think they would pollinate anyway.

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

Going to post up pics of that S.flava ornata sometime soon?

Yeah I know Zu. I'll see what I can do about that photo today.

Kids these days......

Fred P - awww little tiny fly trap flowers!

Wow, that is nuts. Congrats I think :)

They are now 4 months old. I keep cutting off the flowers and they keep sending them up. Very strange.
1004679639x850.jpg

D. 'cupped trap' has this trait. I clipped seven flower stalks one after another on one plant.

Hey! Don't snip those flowers! Let them self pollinate, see if the babies have the same trait! Shouldn't take more than, say... two months? :lol:

Was that an adult plant NaN or a seedling?

SIG - Oh all right, I'll let that tall one be and see what happens.

It was a tissue culture clone bought at Home Depot so who knows how old it was. D. 'Cupped Trap' should be all clones of one plant.

SIG - Oh all right, I'll let that tall one be and see what happens.

Awesome! I look forward to seeing the results... Question is, if it consistently flowers at an extremely young age, is it possible to make that a cultivar? :0o:

That's very uncommon, i wish it happened to my seedlings! :)

What kind of fertilizer are you using? :0o: I've never attempted to fertilize a VFT or any CP before. Would be interested in knowing how you do it and what you use.

Back