What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spring leaves . . .

Here are a few shots of flytraps with their first sets of Spring leaves -- a bit late in Northern California, after a long wet winter. The far larger traps will come with High Summer and the Fall. In the past few years, I have moved on to larger and deeper pots with annual re-pottting; and the plants have grown far more robust; and their root systems, absolutely enormous.

Dionaea muscipula cv. "Big Mouth"
BIGMOUTH-4.jpg

D. muscipula cv. "B52"
B52-B-1.jpg

B52-14.jpg

They sure are beautiful and BIG! Do i see some Drosera in those pots? I suppose maybe Drosera anglica by the way they look right now?

They sure are beautiful and BIG! Do i see some Drosera in those pots? I suppose maybe Drosera anglica by the way they look right now?

Thanks and I honestly don't know what species of Drosera are in that particular pot, since there are volunteers of several species that either came with shipments of live moss, other plants, or seeded from plants of my own . . .

Oh only noticed the Drosera in the bottom picture i didn't see the one above the bottom picture. Well that one looks like a Drosera venustaor, or a Drosera rotundiflia. Most likely Drosera rotundifolia since it is growing outside.

It is definitiely not D. rotundifolia, since that also occurs in far Northern California, near the Oregon border -- along with Darligntonia; and those leaves are far more distinctive. Whatever species it is, it is in dozens of pots with more to come. Several have already flowered . . .

I wonder what it is then.

That b52's a beaut.

Beautiful plants!

Thanks guys. They're still, by far, my favorite plants . . .

I just don't understand how you get them that BIG this early in the season! :0o:

I thought they were looking small . . .

:lol: nice.

Those are spring leaves?! My traps aren't even an inch long yet....

Honestly, they're trapping wasps by August/September -- and I couldn't be happier . . .

Amazing!! I've never seen such bright colours on the spring traps!

For some reason when I grow flytraps outdoors, they don't get any colours at all, but they get very large.

I can't wait to see you flytrap pics in the summer... :0o:

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

Oh yeah, and the dew looks like D. natalensis to me.

Thanks. They must enjoy the California scene; and thanks for the ID of the sundew. There are so many oddball Drosera and Urtricularia, that I have long lost count . . .

Last edited:
Honestly, they're trapping wasps by August/September -- and I couldn't be happier . . .

That's huge!!! After seeing some spring traps on true giant cultivars I can believe it. Mine are just starting to put on some size, the largest trap being half an inch. I may have to get some giants just to watch wasps get destroyed by them.

Back