What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freak Spring leaves . . .

Here is one of my Justina Davis plants, which has just produced a set of three successive mutant leaves, reminiscent of the "Pom Pom" variety seen from time to time -- apparently associated with tissue culture anomalies. This is the second year that it has done this.

Dionaea muscipula cv. "Justina Davis"

JD.jpg

I wonder what causes that mutation.

Oooooh, nifty!

Atleast it's not producing pigment, eh? ;P

so justina's a cheerleader now? :awesome:
so i guess the question is, does justina "naturally" produce pom-pom like leaves or did justina go through an accident while being replicated in the TC flask?

fun fun fun fun...

My 'Justina Davis' hasn't been making odd leaves to that extreme, but on the petiole, there are small, dark green ridges, not unlike the TC mutation that goes by the name "Crested Petioles".

Funny you should say that, Liz, but mine is... D:

Isn't there a vft cultivar with pom pom leaves? MAybe they got it from Justina :p.

Isn't there a vft cultivar with pom pom leaves? MAybe they got it from Justina :p.

There is a "Pom Pom" variety (is it a cultivar?); but apparently the odd leaves only last a short while and are replaced by normal traps . . .

:bigthumpup:Last year one of my vft's produced two traps on one leaf!
Your pom poms look good

"GIMME A V.....GIMME AN F...GIMME A T, what's that spell? VFT!" :lol:

Never seen that one! Thanks for sharing. It does look a lot like "Pom Pom" leaves.

It seems to be a year for freakish growth. Anybody have a Geiger counter?

Maybe we should start an "X-Files" thread in the General section and people can post pictures of freaks from every genus.

It seems to be a year for freakish growth. Anybody have a Geiger counter?

Maybe we should start an "X-Files" thread in the General section and people can post pictures of freaks from every genus.

maybe all the energy for the rapture got dispersed elsewhere :lol:

Justina just won't quit with the freak-show leaves, though the bulk of the plant is quite normal. I just noticed them today -- though now, freak Summer leaves:

Dionaea muscipula cv. "Justina Davis"

FREAK.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting... I wonder if its stable. :D Wait until next year and see if it does it again and if it does TC it! >:D

Going back to its rotundifolia roots?

That's very cool.

Back